New website design

We are planning to redesign the website. So in order to discuss and bring ideas to the designer, we would like to collect ideas and sketches from the community.

1 Like

Hi,

I think we need to start with a few basic topics, in order to organize the communications plan behind the website design.

So… if we follow a simple communication schema, we need to think about WHAT we want to said and to WHO its the message directed to, and only after that (or at least with those answers in mind) we could discuss HOW to deliver our message.

I`ll try to summarize some ideas that I heard in the las two days about the previos questions.

About the “What?”… we could start with a really (but really) basic question, but the general idea its useful for almost every other content: “How we define Tryton ? “

Of course, for developers its really clear (“Is a three-tier high-level general purpose […]”) but, is this an attractive definition for companies/users who wants to use Tryton ? Personally, I think, for example, that a manager reading that definition will never be aware of Tryton’ s functionalities such as accounting or stock, among others. Result: one guy escaping really fast from the website.

So, should we change that definition ? I don’t think so… but at this point its important to note that the “WHO?” Question its becoming a central point. In the las days, we were talking about different “Entry Points” and It could be a good approach, cause it allows us to create different messages for different targets (a different answer to “What?”, defined by the “Who ? “).

Following this scenario, we need to define two concepts yet:

a) Each message content:
Initially, we could think about two potential targets: Developers (the current site content its good for this target) and Companies who are not initially interested in the platform,
but they are on the functionalities (Tryton “as an ERP”, for example).

Considering this, I propose to work on this areas content as “different projects”, and we could even set different teams for each one of them.
ÂżWhy? Cause I strongly think the contents and guidelines should be completely different from each other, so has no sense to treat them as a single speech.

b) How to “split” them:
If we recognize different targets, we need to split different content to each one. So, at this point i can think about two options:

1. Two websites: we could use Plone or Drupal as examples and publish a tryton.org and a tryton.com. (If you check those sites, .com and .org has different targets)
  2. a “Splitter” Landpage: Having a clear path for the user from the beginning.

There just a few ideas, intended to be useful as starting point for discussion.

Regards !

1 Like

I agree that we target two diferent audiencies. Why not adding to pages:

• Tryton for companies
  • Tryton for developers

LIke its done on the openerp2tryton website. See users and developers section to have an idea.

I don’t like the idea of diferent domains as it may transmit the idea that there is a company behind tryton (noted by the .com domain), and this is not the case.

So this would be option 2 then.

For me both options are possible. But if you think in the manner of SEO and marketing option 1 may be the better option as it is common to do the best to attract one well defined audience on the home page.

Hello :-),

I just recently started using Tryton and so far I am very happy.

However, the website is definitely showing its age :-). We can discuss overall general structure but also design a bit, would it help to skim some site with some general ideas that could apply to the site? Also a list of the pages that are directly related to what tryton does in the ERP world?

For instance https://www.odoo.com/ ?

Also. Is the idea to also consider a logo redesign or tweak?

Cheers, very excited about this topic!

G.

First we should admit that creation of marketing related content is one of our biggest problems. Even if we initially pay a agency for this after a while we will face the problem again. So maintaining two websites is a goal we can not achieve now and not in the future. Also we should link as many content as possible that is already written.

So I have done a quick mockup as a starting point for further discussions:
http://tryton.mittelwind.de/

We all agree, that there are two audiences searching a ERP software - the companies itself and developers implementing ERP-Solutions for others or basing there own products on it.

Lets start with the second group and the informations they are searching for:

• Is there a good documentation? (yes - give them a link)
  • How is the quality of source code? (high - give them a link)
  • Is there a community which helps me if I’am lost one day? (yes - give them a link to discuss, embed some tweets and show the count the people in irc-chat and other stuff like count of downloads)
  • Can I convince my boss or customer using Tryton? (show him the left side)

Second Group: Companies searching an ERP - show them the typical marketing boxes with icons. If this is not enough - lead them to a list of grouped modules, where the functions of the modules are already written in the docs.
Show them headlines and possibly short teasers of use cases. Not sure if this should be a link to the story written on the page of the company or elsewhere (less work on our page), It should be attractive for contributors to be linked here, because the story is exposed on the very first page. Show that the project is living.

And finally expose the supporters of the foundation on the startpage. Now you need to do 3 clicks to find them. No backlink - nothing. Sponsoring is next to other things also a kind of marketing - so say thanks with a backlink and the possibility to place a logo. Expose them always before any other on the right side of the footer.

Last but not least show a group of links and icons on the bottom of the page with companies using Tryton. There should be mostly no constraint to do it beside knowing that they are using tryton and the linked page has a minimal content and quality. All these companies have written a lot of content on there webpages - so link them and show the diversity of the planet ( do you remember the planets? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice Jan!
In terms of documentation, a new wiki should go on the to-do list as well!

Hi!
I appreciate the discussion about the new website very much.
To my mind we should stay with one site for manager/deciders and community/developers, but focus on the first one. The site should have a simple structure and answer the question “Why (to use) Tryton?”
I put some things together and here you find my proposal on a new structure. This is supposed to be just a scratch:
tryton.martin-plus.de

Thanx for the TUL2017, I liked the spirit and enjoy(ed) the community!
Richard

I think discource can handle this. One system less to manage …

1 Like

Thanks for the scratch. I think the “click depth” should be than flat as possible. But finally this is a job for the designers.
And should we start to collect the “why” here?

Hello Jan,
thanx for your respond. To collect our thoughts in one place sounds good to me.

Could/would you or anyone else set up a Post-Wiki for Tryton? Or should we just share a google-doc?

So to start right ahead, here from my marketing point of view:
It could be a good idea to talk more (for managers) about “Tryton-ERP” rather than just “Tryton” until the brand gets more “famous”.

Why (to use) Tryton-ERP?

“Tryton makes Your Business flow.”

– It’s all about ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning): A powerful tool to plan, operate, manage and controll your business.
– It is very flexible. It adjusts to your needs rather than otherwise around.
– It is modular. You are free to pick what you need.[LINK]
– It’s OpenSource. That means it is free [LINK-Licence] and you can trust it! You are able and very welcome to check the code.
– It is productive, solid and stable.
– Server and clients are open to all common plattfoms/Operation Systems, so it suits although perfect for heterogenes enviroments.
– You can trust on a strong community of developers on local and international basis.
– Tryton ERP is multi-language (20+ languages) out of the box. The language adjusts to the need of an individual user or customer.
– Tryton is localized and internationalized. Look for special accounting standards for your country [LINK?]
– It is secure! Rights and roles may be given very granually.
– Your employees will like Tryton-ERP, it has a friendly user-interface.
– Tryton is also a friend of managers: You know, what’s going on and get the reports you want and need.
– Tryton is also a friend of developers: They will love straight forward models, the code and the community.
– Tryton is scalable: Out of the box its perfect for small and medium companies.
– Tryton is reliable: The database backend is PosgreSQL – one of the most common and stable databases worldwide.
– Talking about the price: It’s free! You only pay for special development and services you give to external partners.

–> To make it short: Tryton is Good! And probably the ERP with the Lowest Cost of Ownership – worldwide!

3 Likes

I think that the first to define is about what CMS we will to use?

I propose this, is build it in Django Mezzanine

Here I nice sketchs for modern websites:

http://demo.athemes.com/themes/?theme=Sydney

http://demo.athemes.com/talon/

http://www.templatemonsterpreview.com/es/66768.html

http://demo.athemes.com/themes/?theme=Moesia

https://demo.themegrill.com/flash/

I don’t think we need a CMS as most of the content is static html. Indeed, I like the current aproach where we write rst files, which are checked in into a repository and the automatically uploaded to the website.

1 Like

Fully disagree with this statement. Current process is a PITA and somewhat stoneage.
A CMS has some advantages for changing content (like newsfeed etc) and is much more user friendly, for the sake of higher resource needs and vulnerability exposure.
But overall I would prefer a CMS, especially if we want to widen the range of supporters…

1 Like

The main problem with a CMS is that changes are not revievable, which for me is a drawback.

Indeed if somebody want’s to contribute to the website and it has problems with it I offer myself to help them.

1 Like

Personally it is very kind from you to offer support on the current review process.

I had tried this some time ago, and decided for myself that it is too complicated if you are not using it on a daily basis. Thats why I’m not translating anymore to german for example. (Next to the fact that I don’t want to discuss about white space at the end of a line and things like that. But thats a different story)

Even in a programming context, submitting requests in OBS or Github is much easier.

For a website maintenance its a complete overkill. You’ll never be able to give some text to your secretary to put it into the Newsfeed.

Just my 2c

1 Like

I can be your secreatry if you want. Just write the text and share it. And I will be very happy to upload this to the website.

2 Likes

Typo3 or Typo3 Neos have standard review possibilities. You create your content in the workspace and another can review, change and publish it to the website. I think it’s a bit overkill. You can test it on https://www.lelesys.com/en/technology/about-typo3-neos/typo3-neos-demo.html

Another, for me, important point is a list of contributed modules with their description and location / download on the website. Now I’m looking on for modules in the repo’s of Nan-Tic / Presik or ZikZak, but I think there are a lot more.

Some time ago we discussed the plan to add a Tryton Package Index (Trypi). The idea is to upload modules to pypi (as they are python packages also) and then add an index of all the tryton packages.

Nicolas, started some application to register the packages which was uploaded to a sandbox repository. Don’t know which is the current state, but contribution is welcome to make it happen. If any body is interested, please open a new thread (here or on tryton-dev mailing list).