Standard booking

This is one of my very much embarrassing questions - but after hours of search I give in… How do I do a standard booking with two accounts? - Something like “debt against bank” or so…

I know how to create a move from a template and how to create a template, but this makes only sense if the booking type in question occurs more than a few times a year.
I know how to create a opening balance - but there only one account is involved.

And I could not find out the very basic thing. Sorry for that…

Cheers,
Wolf

I think you might be looking for: Financial > Entries > Account Moves.

From here you create a new record, then add lines for each debit / credit that you need to do.

Tryton is based on double entry accounting, so the debits and credits must be balanced on each move. So you need to find (or create) the other account (possibly of type Equity) that the opening balance comes from.

Advanced users can also use the “Financial > Entries > Open Journal” to enter only lines which will be automatically grouped under a move once balanced.

I think I understood the idea. To really be sure: In real world, in most cases I will need 3 lines then:

• credit
  • debit
  • VAT

Correct?

If you have taxes, you should fill invoices otherwise it is highly probable that you will be missing proper tax computation and definition.

Kind of, for example in Tryton, if you have a look at an account move related to a supplier invoice it would look more like this:

Account            |  Debit  |  Credit 
---------------------+---------+----------
  Payable Account    |   0.00  |   25.20    (Invoice Total)
  Tax Account        |   4.20  |    0.00    (Tax amount: 20%)
  Expense Account A  |   9.00  |    0.00    (Ordered Product 1)
  Expense Account B  |  12.00  |    0.00    (Ordered Product 2)

But, as @ced mentioned, this is not the whole story as there are also tax lines that are associated with some of these lines which are used in the tax reporting. Invoices take care of calculating and creating these correctly.

Is that any clearer?

Hm, I’m sorry, didn’t really understand the above. In case I create the lines from your example correctly (we can have 2 VAT rates + noVAT in Germany, so 3 VAT lines worst case…) VAT should be booked correctly. What else could go wrong?

Cheers,
Wolf

The problem will be when you look at the [Financial > Charts > Open Chart of Tax Codes]. The tax will be in the right place in your Chart of Accounts, but the base and tax amounts will be missing from your Chart of Tax Codes.

A bit more detail

Each of the lines in the example (these are the Account Move Lines) can have some Tax Lines associated with them (including the Account Move Lines that are not tax amounts). These Tax Lines provide information about how much of the Account Move Line is for which tax, or how much of the Account Move Line was used as a base amount from which some tax has been calculated.

This is then used in the Chart of Tax Codes to show totals for both the tax amounts for each tax and the base amounts that the tax was applied to.

You can see a list of the Tax Lines for each Account Move Line by switching the Lines in the Account Move to form view using the [Switch] button (it’s the one with the two horizontal opposing arrows to the right of the word Lines).

So in the example, if the tax that was applied was “VAT on Purchases of Goods at Standard Rate” (called “VAT on P…” below to keep it short) then:

|             Tax Lines
                     |-----------------------------------
  Account            |      Tax      |  Amount  |  Type
---------------------+---------------+----------+--------
  Tax Account        |  VAT on P...  |    4.20  |  Tax
  Expense Account A  |  VAT on P...  |    9.00  |  Base
  Expense Account B  |  VAT on P...  |   12.00  |  Base

That’s the rough idea, I’m not too sure I explained it too clearly…

1 Like

Thank you very much Dave for all your time and effort. You did everything possible! - I’ll discuss the topic with a befriended accountant, I guess she will understand… (-;

Perhaps, although it may be an implementation detail in the way that Tryton aggregates the data for the tax codes.

If you are not using one of the localized account modules then you probably won’t have any tax codes, so that may be why it is not easy to see how it all fits together.

As mentioned above, I had a talk with my accountant friend. She can see one issue - timing. There seem to be complex concepts dealing with the question when in time VAT is charged:

• invoice issued
  • date of invoice
  • payment came in
  • and probably some more I do not imagine in my nightmares…

I guess, the “create-order-and process” scheme deals with these timing questions accurately - but in a small company with small sums, they may not be so relevant.

(Just 2cts of my poking around)