Step-by-Step tutorial for beginners

I think this feature would be a good thing. We are currently introducing Tryton in our company, and there is really no “real” manual on the net. I also think it should be possible to submit such contributions even if you are not a “trust_level_2” user. If a user with the appropriate experience checks it then it could be released and everyone could benefit from it.
Kind regards
Ernst

3 Likes

@ced The idea of How-To category seems a good idea. This should also improve the visibility of Tryton and will support the upcoming developers on Tryton. I would be willing to complete some documents on the same to build up our own community wiki.

3 Likes

Hello,

I too think that it would be a good idea and I would also be ready to participate in the development of such howto. But I would like to address 2 points:

• What about localization, indeed some points are very related to the country in which Tryton is used?
  • Indeed it is not necessary to explain all the details, on the other hand I think that a note indicating that there is an optional module dealing with this point is necessary so as not to imply that there is nothing to it subject in Tryton.

Kind regards.

3 Likes

Hello!

When I am a litte more experienced with Tryton, I am sure I could translate an existing or developing Step-by-Step Howto to geman.

I dont’t know at the moment what way to go to develope such a tutorial for international usage but english is international and should be the preferred language so that the tutorial could be translated to other languages.

Tryton is what we need! This is a great project and should be more recognized by the public.

Andreas

4 Likes

Do you consider micro videos as an alternative to screenshots?

1 Like

Well I think they should be a very low number of them. But when one think it is required, it should clearly state for which use case it is.

For me, it should be in the form of “Seel also” which links other specific cases.

It is not needed, the discuss web site is automatically in multi-language thanks to the translation tools.

Yes I think all howto’s should be written in English (even if on support part of the forum we accept any language).

For me, only if it was created with Scripting Tryton Tutorial Video and published on our Youtube channel.

1 Like

You can add them as user support and then some user with trust_level_2 can edit them to include it in the how-to section.

1 Like

This is what I meant with step-by-step howto. Before one can post an invoice, all other things should be set up by an admin like setting up the accounting with sequences, taxes, bank account and so on. Next step would be creating or importing articles, move them to a depot and so on.

Furthermore I think videos are nice for presentation of a prodcut, but as admin I’d prefer a text documentation that I can follow step-by-step, can stop reading without having to stop a video and start it again.

Don’t know if a wiki qualifies for such a documentation. But we could try it.

Andreas

2 Likes

I think we can have both of them.

A howto will be very useful for community (and future developers) and videos for end users.

1 Like

I think it would be very valuable to have this kind of documentation for tryton. I’m quite sure of the quality of this software because it’s based on good components, but the first step to validate a sale or a purchase is big. The first thing is to select the good modules, in my case the good template for french accounting, which is not trivial, and so on…
I think a basic text document “how to do my first purchase from scratch”… (so first company, first employee, first product etc…) starting for each step by which module and dependencies to install, even if it’s boring to go bask each time to module installation… I think it’s the best way to understand the structure of tryton modules.
Then the users, who have a minimum experience on ERPs (which is mandatory to my opinion), will learn the rest step by step with more and more complex cases

4 Likes

So let’s work together creating such a howto. I’ll take the time at the end of next week and set up a Tryton installation from scratch. I’ll document this step by step an write it down with a simple text-editor. With the help of the community upcomming questions can be solved and the howto can be presiced and refined.

I’ll come up next week when I setup Tryton again.

6 Likes

I agree almost word by word with you except for this sentence:

Because in example, you’ve response to me at How to book a leasing invoice topic with an answer which it’s almost perfect for me (and I guess for any Tryton user) but could be seen as a not general question:

Following your guideline this would be the sketch for that possible post:

Category: Howto
Sub-category: User
Post title: How to book a leasing invoice
Post description (answer):
In a leasing invoice the amortization is directly booked through one of its invoice lines.
In order to get this working you’ll need the account_asset module installed and the target amortization account setted as fixed asset.
Do not create an asset product, in this case, you will not manage the depreciation.

2 Likes

I agree. Sometimes the time you feel most like writing it is right after you’ve figured it out for the first time! There can be a flag that says “rookie user created this”, but still it’s better than nothing! :slight_smile:

Have you done this? That would be incredible! I’ve setup the database and server–now I just need some text-based tutorials to follow to setup the users, companies, products, and figure out how to create a darn sales invoice… haha.

Can you email it to me, even if it’s not in a finished state?

I’d love to help out as well (maybe write the odd tutorial or something), but I’m just a Tryton noob (although I’m very good at Python, Postgres, and Docker).

Thanks!
Sean McCarthy
IJACK Technologies Inc

I had a good result by step by step installing and activating these modules (I’m french) :

trytond-party
trytond-purchase
trytond-sale
trytond-product
trytond-stock
trytond-account-fr

created a user, a currency, a company, an employment, followed the wizard for french accounting to validate defaults accounts … a product, I don’t remember maybe a warehouse or something like that

and finally, I validated a sale and a purchase !!!

1 Like

After days of struggling trying to figure Tryton out (from a developer, admin, and user perspective), I finally found this administration manual. This should be a lot easier for new users to find!!!

https://tryton-administration-manual.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

I also managed to find this, for the server and Proteus config:
https://docs.tryton.org/en/latest/

Not sure why the https://tryton-administration-manual.readthedocs.io is not on the same website as https://docs.tryton.org/ . That would’ve made things a bit easier.

Sean

3 Likes

I found a treasure : https://github.com/coopengo/tryton-training

3 Likes

Yeah I found that too. Great for developers and great for getting the server and database setup. Excellent, excellent resource, but not quite the full solution.

Once you’re past that, looking to import data and get users, modules, and accounts setup (admin and user stuff), it’s harder to find good guidance.

I figured out how to use Proteus to import my vendors and customers (I had ~1,000 so no manual entry). Almost there!

Sean

Hey guys,

As well as with Tryton ERP, I’ve been working with GNU Health which uses the Tryton framework as one of its components. It’s an amazing Tryton based project, I can’t find words to express how glad I am with it. Better than GNU Health, it’s just the Tryton project itself lol :wink:

I’d like to recommend you guys to take a look at their wiki page, specially at the way they organize the documentation and the type of documentation.

As I’m using, and administering the system in private hospitals in Angola, their wiki page is of the great help for me and the normal users.

Because I’m planning to heavily contribute to the Tryton project, I’d like to ask you guys what you think about their wiki page and do the same for Tryton. Or if you’ve already figured out the best way to start writing Tryton documentation, let me know something so I can start writing some material as a proposal.

As I was reading the topics regarding writing Tryton documentation in here, I realize that the chosen platform to write the documentation will be here. Am I right? If yes, how can I start contributing? Am I required to have a minimum level of trust? In the beginning I’m just planning to write User Tutorials.

Let me know your thoughts on this

Thank you for all your great work

2 Likes

Could you enumerate which practes are good for end user documenation and you think we can use for our own cdocumentation?

Yes, the howto’s section is probably a good section to start. So feel free to write your tutorials there and we will be more than happy to edit them.

1 Like