Database independence

Dear all

Besides SQLite and PostgreSQL, I don’t know of any other DB backend currently supported. In these days, specially in the turbid context of genAI/LLM, many in the Free Software community (including myself) are looking for applications entirely written by humans.[1][2][3].

I wonder how much of an effort would it be add additional DB backends and how do you feel about it.

Best,
Luis

1.- ethical-foss/open-slopware: Alternatives to FOSS projects choosing to use and/or support LLMs/AI, as well as tips for requesting better policies or forking. - Codeberg.org
2.- brib/slopfree-software-index: A list of open-source projects that reject AI-generated code - Codeberg.org
3.- Dates were growing.

Theoretically it should be possible to create a backend for any ACID SQL database as we try to abstract specific behavior into the backend which allows us to support 2 backends.
But it is probably not an easy task as most of the databases are not completely SQL compliant and the devil hides in such details.

1 Like

Thank you! I will find sometime to play around with other backends after we release GH 5.2 .

It would be a nice talk for GHCON 2026 :wink: