Create Journal for OFX import

I am experimenting with Tryton and the latest Docker image and trying to import an OFX file.

Statement import, is okay

1. Have a company name
  2. File
  3. File extension

But when I try to import I am told I need a journal. I guessed that I needed somewhere for the import to go but I do not know how to create a journal or what the concept of a journal means in the context of Tryton or accounting. It is telling me to set up a journal for the partially anonymised account number picked up from the OFX file.

Can you help or is there any documentation that can help?

This might help

Thanks,

Douglas

It is the statement journal that needs to be linked to the bank account and define some accounting properties like journal, account etc.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Create account type

Sorry, I am going to have to go back over this.

Not sure how to link ‘statement journal’ ‘bank account’.

How do I create a ‘statement journal’? Is it under Financial>Configuration>Journals>Journals?

Then how are they linked?

If this is in the documentation, please give me a hint where?

Thank you for your help.

Douglas

It is in Financial > Configuration > Statements > Statement Journals

By bank account number.

1 Like

Experiment only, I managed to import an OFX file. Thank you for your help.

I have a suggestion.

The OFX statement import detects the account it is to be imported to from the text otf OFX file. There should be a way of overriding this. In my OFX file the account number had be partially anonymized (of the form ****1234). And so I had to create an account ****1234. I use Gnucash and it lets you override its guess as to the account to import to.

If you think it is valid then where should I submit it?

Kind regards,

Douglas

This is strange. What is the point to anonymize your own data? Also bank account number is not really sensitive.

You can follow Tryton - Get Involved

In my OFX file the account number had be partially anonymized (of the form ****1234).

This is strange. What is the point to anonymize your own data? Also bank account number is not really sensitive.

I have no idea why the bank does this.

I am looking at the journal for the imported OFX file and it has not picked up a description. I am comparing this to my experience using GnuCash. I understand that I might have to do some configuration but am not sure what?

Here is an image of what I have. I am still to select the the party and account. Is the number correct?

Tryton takes the OFX memo of the transaction as description for the origin.

Yes if the payee of OFX does not match exactly any existing party (and only one).
But now I think we should also store the payee as information for the case it is not found.

Hello,

Just checking the next stage of the process.

Have I also to get the pending amount to zero by filling in lines for each entry?

This seems especially useful for splitting transactions.

Thanks,

Douglas

Yes you must affect the lines to the proper accounts and/or invoice etc.