Beginners' companion

During the last months, while introducing tryton in my little company, I tried to record the steps I found out with so much help from the forum, endless trial-and-error and some (more or less) professional support.
The present state (permanent work in progress) can be found at my owncloud:
owncloud directory

Although there are definitely many weak points, I would have saved more than half a man-month if I had had the info it contains. Some of you may simile about some boring details I mentioned - but believe me, that are those I really had to struggle with, so they may be worth to be mentioned.

Having received so much from the community I feel obliged to return something. As I cannot do coding, I tried to do some writing. The result is far away from being good or even perfect, but may serve as a sort of beginning.

What I’d like to offer to the community:
A commitment, at least till the end of this year (hopefully longer, if my workload and health conditions permit) to maintain this draft, to collect improvements and enhancements, to structure them and integrate them to the piece. At the beginning of my text, I ask beginners in tryton for help to improve it. I’m convinced that it’s really important to ask beginners for beginners’ problems. My wish would be a well visible link at “tryton.org”, which would guide beginners to this piece.

Allthough I tried, I could not find out how the “google summer of code” project performs and what kind of results we can expect from there. If it should be integrated there, let me know. If my essay is obsolete for results to come from there, tell me. If not, let me know where I should store the text, I’ll than do some formatting and create a ToC.

CU,
Wolf

The link appears to be broken.

True. Fixed now.
Sorry, Things are a little confused as I’m moving to a new SSD at the moment.

From what you have described, and the documentation in the proper place discussion, it sounds like the right place for it maybe a combination of the Howto/User and the Howto/System Administrator sections.

damn, I was going to use that guide, but owncloud.trolink.de does not seem to resolve anymore… anyone with a copy of the content ? Or a guide for installation with pip ?

Nice to hear someone is interested. I changed a bit in my infrastructure, so the pieces can now be found in:
Nextcloud Rollentausch.
And even a little more pretty - thanks to NC’s built-in markdown viewer, with formatted text now. Wow! ((-;

It seems I cannot edit the initial posting. Pity - would like to update the URL there as well…

1 Like

@herrdeh Regarding installation via pip:

1. There is no “tryton-pip”, I’d call it “installation using/via pip”
  2. I suggest use the “[list-of-modules.txt]” file from the very beginning. This is: Teach to create such a file by putting “trytond” and “psycopg2-binary” in the file. Thus makes it much, much easier to keep track of what was intended to be installed, to copy the environment (e.g. for testing) or to pass it on to somebody else.
1 Like

Hello my fellow friend Hartmut,
thank you very much for reviewing my little papers. This is the only way they can get better!

Fair enough. I changed the names for the installation methods to make it more clear.

About the other thing:
The “list of modules” actually becomes a “list of all PIP components” after all of them are installed, containing other things such as genshi, install, lxml, ordereddict and many more. So I think it makes more sense to create it after you finished the first few install steps and update it after every change in modules.

Your idea saves a few steps at the beginning, on the expense of less clarity what happens to the user. And for reasons mentioned above you should create a new list of modules later anyway - which then can be forwarded where to you ever want.

Please correct me if I didnt get your point.

Cheers,
Wolf

Hi, is your “beginners’ companion” still available somewhere?

Thanks for asking. Indeed, through some messing with Nextcloud, the link changed. It should be up to date now, use this one in doubt:

Beginners’ companion

Cheers,
Wolf

Thank you! I should have read this earlier…
Maybe there is a possibility to add this to the Howto sections as suggested by @dave ? It might be useful when searching the forum for help.

I absolutely agree with you - and so do many other fellow friends.
Unluckily, people in charge do not.

:frowning_with_open_mouth: