Where is Tryton's largest potential of customers?

In discussion with Tryton leaders, we all notice that those take good care for the situation in big companies. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with that. But when we check statistics, we clearly see that (eg in Germany), 85% of all enterprises have less than 10 employees, other countries may even have more small businesses. Among them, I’m quite sure that there is a larger fraction with 1-5 that with 6-9.

In a big company, employees tend to “play safe”, and it’s a wide spread (IMHO wrong) assumption that it’s safer to buy software from another big company, than to use FOSS.

All that boils down to the trivial insight that the big market for Tryton is smallest and small businesses. Revenues are likely to be small as well - but they multiply with really big numbers. I’m really happy that Tryton has this trust focus and does a good job in modelling clear processes for that. Nevertheless, there is the rest of us, the many smallest and small businesses. I do not have a panacea for this dilemma, but a good first step certainly is to be aware of where the really big market for Tryton is.

And we may think of some other options:

• advice how to simplify processes (eg I was taught how to abandon delivery zones in my warehouse)
  • options for simplified processes in some modules (checkboxes to mask certain steps or options which are not required in a small business)
  • and as ultima ratio: in rare cases, it may be easier to have specialized modules for small and big companies on the same topic

Cheers,
Wolf

1 Like

From my expirience I find the Tryton works well for companies that have 3 or more employees. The fact is that Tryton is designed to automate process and share information between diferent departments. This means for example:

• One salesman
  • One person doing the shipment proceses
  • Another one for invoice and accounting.

Altought this is not a behaviour IMHO Tryton has a better Return of Invoices for such companies.

Also it is usefull for smaller companies but to automate some processes, for example to automate the supply of goods for companies producing goods. Another good usage is when there is a external sale channel (like shopify) and salesman introducing sales. On such case Tryton is very usefull to centralize the sale orders of all channels of the company.

But even here there may be big variations:

• you may have a “traditional” business with very much specialized roles, but
  • in a family enterprise or in a startup, things can be different, with a “everybody must do everything”-approach