Tryton container errors

Pulled tryton container this morning.

Added user to docker group.

Following instructions on your page https://hub.docker.com/r/tryton/tryton/

Got the following error:

xxx on pts/1 some_host.test.lcl:~ 
20190920_064737 Fri 
$ docker run --name tryton-postgres -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=mysecretpassword -e POSTGRES_DB=tryton -d postgres
Unable to find image 'postgres:latest' locally
docker: Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:41263->[::1]:53: read: connection refused.
See 'docker run --help'.

xxx on pts/1 some_host.test.lcl:~ 
20190920_064806 Fri 
$ docker image ls
REPOSITORY          TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
tryton/tryton       latest              ff6a449c3d33        5 days ago          394MB

The os is OpenSUSE Leap 15.2

Based on the message, I might surmise I should have a docker image of postgres as well as tryton.

Based on the command, I might surmise that I should have set up a user/password for that postgresql container and substituted that information in the tryton command line.

But the instructions are silent on these items and it is easier to ask.

What is wrong please?

Yes that sounds right, you need a container running postgresql with a user and password.

On Docker did the the first item in the “How to use this image”, the one that mentions how to “Start a PostgreSQL instance” not work correctly for you?

You seem to have difficulties to connect to the docker registry to fetch the postgres image.
You can retry with the command: docker pull postgres

Thank you all.

If I had been writing the instructions I would have listed all the instructions necessary from a clean install to successfully run a container with tryton.

1. Pull a postgres container: docker pull postgres/postgres
  2. Start the postfresql container with the command blah, blah, blah
  3. Configure the postgresql container for the tryton user: blah, blah, blah
  4. Test the postgresql container by doing this and this and this.
  5. Pull any other containers which are needed to successfully run a tryton container.
  6. Pull a tryton container with the command : blah, blah, blah
  7. Start the tryton container with the command : blah, blah, blah
  8. Initialize the postgres database for the tryton server with the command: blah, blah, blah
  9. Start the tryton daemon with the command: blah, blah, blah
  10. Install the tryton client with the command : blah, blah, blah
  11. Start the tryton client with the command: blah, blah, blah
  12. Connect the tryton client to the tryton server with the command: blah, blah, blah
  13. Trouble shooting.

Is there any place I may find such a set of instructions?

PS: If there is no such set of instructions, I understand and know time is precious. My ambition is to support the project. I would be happy to thoroughly document these steps on OpenSUSE if I can get some pointers. Virtual machines being where they are, I could check out other distributions as well if requested.

My day job is in accounting, but I have an interest in management software which is why I am here.

I want to help, but need some help to get started.

Well normally with

$ docker run --name tryton-postgres -e POSTGRES_PASSWORD=mysecretpassword -e POSTGRES_DB=tryton -d postgres

it should fetch the image if it is missing. But you got an issue with the connection to docker registry, this is something that should not happen on normal case.
The current instructions should work seamlessly on a clean setup but of course in case of problem people should check the Docker instruction.

What is the url for the page where these instructions may be found?

Update: The instructions on the docker page are missing the critical first step, pulling the postgres container.

docker pull postgres:latest

After doing that, all of the other instructions work as expected and the adminstrator may login to the running tryton container to begin setup of the system.

On the image page: Docker

No it is not a required step when docker is working correctly and there are no connection issue.

Ergo, when there is a connection issue, such as when there is no postgresql container prensent and running, tryton will not run.

The tryton container helpfully reported that there is no postgresql:latest container available locally.

From that I was able to guess what the problem was. Fortunately I have a little bit of experience and was able to figure that part out.

What is wrong with telling a new user to first check these things?

Doing so is no different than the dependency checks most well-written software perform.

And is it improper for me to be concerned with other new users which may follow?

Documentation has a maintenance cost like the rest of the software. So I prefer to document the key points under normal condition than trying to consider every possible failing cases. Your cases is very rare. I do not think it deserve more management than just this thread, nor to complicate the current working documentation.