Support for UK HMRC Making Tax Digital (MTD)

The UK tax authority (HMRC) is asking all businesses over a certain size to move onto software that supports their API. They call this Making Tax Digital (MTD).

They have online documentation about the API and a list of software vendors, large and small, who support the API.

There are three Odoo entries on the list, they claim to be the only Open Source vendor supporting MTD. One links to the official Odoo site, one links to a company called OpusVL and one links to a group called Odoo Gap.

As they are open source, can anything from their solutions be adapted to Tryton?

There is a related discussion here about using Tryton for accounting and VAT in the UK but I feel MTD is significant enough to have its own thread.

1 Like

Where is it?

Often this way does not make it to the quality standard of Tryton. Anyway it can be an good inspiration but I can not find their source code.

But I think we will first need the UK chart of account in standard before going further.

1 Like

They have online documentation about the API

Where is it?

Making Tax Digital guides

As they are open source, can anything from their solutions be adapted to Tryton?

Often this way does not make it to the quality standard of Tryton. Anyway it can be an good inspiration but I can not find their source code.

Does anybody know any of the companies or people in question? If they are developing it independently maybe they could even be tempted with a bounty to release a Tryton version of their solution?

Hi,

This is something that I am planning on looking at once I have got the UK chart of account finalized, which unfortunately has been taking longer than I hoped, and assuming I can get enough people interested to make it work financially for me.

The full API documentation (for all the MTD stuff) is on the HMRC Developer Hub, but you need to register for an account, and there are some terms of use you need to agree to.

They may be an “Open Source Vendor”, but I’m not too sure how open source their MTDfVAT solution is, as (admittedly with only a quick search) I haven’t been able to find any links to the source code.

I found this GitHub - OpusVL/mtd: Repository for Making Tax Digital Odoo modules
But as expected the design looks very complex for the purpose.

Can this be a general module this like account_statement?. The are more countries where communication with the government authorities is becoming more and more digital.
The general module will get all the necessary data, where specific modules (for each country?) setup communication / authorization and send over data etc.

But as it heavily depends on the accounts and taxes I have my doubts.

I do not see what can be common per country outside what already exists in Tryton.
Tax reporting is already generated and managed by the account module. Normally communication with an authority is about taking the existing data and send it.

So the general module is already available :smile:

I didn’t see that, apologies to anyone involved for doubting how open source it is. Thanks.

I found this https://github.com/pubmania/vatreturn which is not immediately useful but
it does submissions without requiring very much code and some bits of code may be useful.

2 Likes