Step-by-Step tutorial for beginners

I agree almost word by word with you except for this sentence:

Because in example, you’ve response to me at How to book a leasing invoice topic with an answer which it’s almost perfect for me (and I guess for any Tryton user) but could be seen as a not general question:

Following your guideline this would be the sketch for that possible post:

Category: Howto
Sub-category: User
Post title: How to book a leasing invoice
Post description (answer):
In a leasing invoice the amortization is directly booked through one of its invoice lines.
In order to get this working you’ll need the account_asset module installed and the target amortization account setted as fixed asset.
Do not create an asset product, in this case, you will not manage the depreciation.

2 Likes

I agree. Sometimes the time you feel most like writing it is right after you’ve figured it out for the first time! There can be a flag that says “rookie user created this”, but still it’s better than nothing! :slight_smile:

Have you done this? That would be incredible! I’ve setup the database and server–now I just need some text-based tutorials to follow to setup the users, companies, products, and figure out how to create a darn sales invoice… haha.

Can you email it to me, even if it’s not in a finished state?

I’d love to help out as well (maybe write the odd tutorial or something), but I’m just a Tryton noob (although I’m very good at Python, Postgres, and Docker).

Thanks!
Sean McCarthy
IJACK Technologies Inc

I had a good result by step by step installing and activating these modules (I’m french) :

trytond-party
trytond-purchase
trytond-sale
trytond-product
trytond-stock
trytond-account-fr

created a user, a currency, a company, an employment, followed the wizard for french accounting to validate defaults accounts … a product, I don’t remember maybe a warehouse or something like that

and finally, I validated a sale and a purchase !!!

1 Like

After days of struggling trying to figure Tryton out (from a developer, admin, and user perspective), I finally found this administration manual. This should be a lot easier for new users to find!!!

https://tryton-administration-manual.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

I also managed to find this, for the server and Proteus config:
https://docs.tryton.org/en/latest/

Not sure why the https://tryton-administration-manual.readthedocs.io is not on the same website as https://docs.tryton.org/ . That would’ve made things a bit easier.

Sean

3 Likes

I found a treasure : https://github.com/coopengo/tryton-training

3 Likes

Yeah I found that too. Great for developers and great for getting the server and database setup. Excellent, excellent resource, but not quite the full solution.

Once you’re past that, looking to import data and get users, modules, and accounts setup (admin and user stuff), it’s harder to find good guidance.

I figured out how to use Proteus to import my vendors and customers (I had ~1,000 so no manual entry). Almost there!

Sean

Hey guys,

As well as with Tryton ERP, I’ve been working with GNU Health which uses the Tryton framework as one of its components. It’s an amazing Tryton based project, I can’t find words to express how glad I am with it. Better than GNU Health, it’s just the Tryton project itself lol :wink:

I’d like to recommend you guys to take a look at their wiki page, specially at the way they organize the documentation and the type of documentation.

As I’m using, and administering the system in private hospitals in Angola, their wiki page is of the great help for me and the normal users.

Because I’m planning to heavily contribute to the Tryton project, I’d like to ask you guys what you think about their wiki page and do the same for Tryton. Or if you’ve already figured out the best way to start writing Tryton documentation, let me know something so I can start writing some material as a proposal.

As I was reading the topics regarding writing Tryton documentation in here, I realize that the chosen platform to write the documentation will be here. Am I right? If yes, how can I start contributing? Am I required to have a minimum level of trust? In the beginning I’m just planning to write User Tutorials.

Let me know your thoughts on this

Thank you for all your great work

2 Likes

Could you enumerate which practes are good for end user documenation and you think we can use for our own cdocumentation?

Yes, the howto’s section is probably a good section to start. So feel free to write your tutorials there and we will be more than happy to edit them.

1 Like

Yeah. For example, in this section I could install GNU Health completely, and although Tryton ERP can be installed easily with $ pip install tryton, this is the kind of documentation that users and system administration can much appreciate because after we follow all the steps we have the system ready to work. As it can happen with some module, for example GNU Health Laboratory Management System.
This is how I could start understanting how powerful Tryton can be. It is an incredible tool to manage any kind of resource. And then, after all that, it’s free.

In here, we have an explanation of the core modules that makes up GNU Health. And after this, they continue to explain the best practices to have the best working system. For example, they advise users to add people before adding patients. What this simply means is that we should add a party and then create a patient from the party previously added.

I’m unable to post on the HowTo’s section.
I think we need a way to have a guide to write the user documentation. A kind of roadmap. If you see the GNU Health wiki book, not all of the section are complete or even started, but nevertheless they have the topic there so anybody who wants to write on the topic, can write the documentation and post it. In this way we can see what is missing and need work, and what is done and needs improvement.
For example, in the User Tutorial we could create just the topics we think are relevant to have a good documentation for the best user experience. And then, with time we could fill all the topics with user documentation.

This is explained on the install trytond section. Some things that I may be improved:

• Explain database requirements (PostgreSQL recommended)
  • Add how to install with pip
  • Add links to the download page where the distribution packages are found.

On the next sections is explained how to configure and run the server.

Probably this needs a little bit of love, so any proposal to improve it will be very welcome.

But you can publish on the User Support section and we can move them to the how to section the relevant topics :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, and it is explained well, as it was in this way I could install Tryton ERP for the first time. However, as you said, it needs some improvement.

Ok, I got it ;). I will do it

1 Like

Our website is published on it’s own repository. It’s a flask application and we accept proposals to improve it by using our development process :wink:

So any proposal to improve it will be very welcome.

Just to have it mentioned here as well:
I tried - as good as I can - to record my steps to introduce tryton, with the intention to make that useable for other beginners.
Here you find the result linked. It’s of course very much work in progress and as faulty as a beginner’s work naturally is. But any help is welcome to improve the piece and some day get it ready for publication.

My motivation to do this is:

• better remember my own steps, as I forget so many of already achieved skills,
  • reflect the setup process more thoroughly and come to better solutions,
  • attract even more help

So it is close to 100% selfish… (-;

Just my 2 cents about languages of the docs. Since our primary challenge is the lack of docs, I would encourage to make docs, videos and anything in any language convenient for an author. I mean a language should not be a requirement limiting potential authors. Translating into English will be an easy task compared to creating a doc in any language.

If necessary, I can translate into English from French and Spanish.

1 Like

Thank you very much, for me also very good resource link!

Who ever prepare this all documentation it’s a blessed Individual very professional and very very very valuable person/team for this Community. I never see such organized document in my career. I as Individual Thank you very much!!!

Thanks for your friendly comments. I want to draw your attention to our German Tryton book, where further progress on that initial work mentioned above is greatly extended and settled by the German Gang.

It’s written in German, sorry for that. I’d be very happy if people would use deepl translater or whatever and use it to produce versions in foreign languages. We are on the way to provide structures to make this work more easy.

Cheers,
Wolf

2 Likes

HI! need your help.
Can you share your experience with us That is how we can install the sale module.

Thank you very much, the book it’s helps for beginner’s like me regardless of language constraint i am happy with the material.

Sincerely!