Shipment: one shipment in multiple boxes?

Hello friends,
we often happen to split one shipment into several boxes, mostly because one box would exceed carrier’s weight limit.

At present, I can select one shipment method at Inventory&Stock > Shipments > Customer Shipments > ‘carrier’, which is perfect for one box.

But in case I’m issuing several boxes, I’m now adding those to the invoice manually, which seems not to be a desired workflow.

Can I achieve to select multiple boxes for one shipment?

Thanks a lot in advance, Wolf

You can simply create multiple packages for the same shipment.
If you have different outgoing moves, then you can just pack them in the coresponding packages. (In the outgoing moves | packages section).
If you have one outgoing move with high quantity, for ex. you have one move with 16 rollers, and you want to put 8 in each package.
Then I would split the outgoing move (using stock_split module), create a package for each and pack each move in each package.

1 Like

Dimitrios, you are the helping angel in Tryton jungle… (;
(one of quite some, of course - but accept my compliments for your patience)
Thank you for pointing me to stock-split module. I think, this is the proper way to do it.

It looks as if I need to set back stock moves to “draft” status, then a “split” button appears bottom right and I can select products to be put into one parcel, and choose a shipment service then.
So far, so good.
But then, I cannot find any of the chosen shipments on my customer invoice. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance, Wolf

Ii think you may be having an issue because you talk about setting the stock moves to draft.
I think you are doing this from the wrong place where you need to do a lot of work manually, and then forgetting to do a part.
Where do you reset the stock moves to draft?

The way I do it does not require resetting any stock moves to draft.
I just have to do things in the right order.

1. My workflow uses Sales to generate Customer Invoice and Customer Shipment.
  2. Once I have the Customer shipment, I make sure it is in the wait state.
  3. In the wait state I check that the information is correct, and then I Assign and Pick.
  4. In The Pick state the Inventory Moves (from Storage → Output) are Done and can no longer be reset.
  5. Now you need to go to the Outgoing Moves tab. The outgoing moves list will be populated according to the inventory moves when you go into pick state. If you had one inventory move, you will have one outgoing move.
  6. Now you need to split the outgoing move while in the picked state, if you are in any other state it will be reset when you go into pick state. This will set the origin of both of the resulting moves to the same as the originating move.

I should explain that the reason why we need to split the outgoing moves is because a package can contain only whole outgoing moves, you can not pack a part of an outgoing move in a package.
If you like you can go into the outgoing move (by double clicking on the move line) then go to the other info tab: here you can see the origin of the move. This is what associates it to the sale / purchase.

1. Now you can start to create packages, and add each outgoing move line to the package.

I assume we are talking about Customer Shipment and customer invoices.
Why dont you check the associated shipments from Sale?

Thank you for your detailed advice. I reached this step:

double-clicked one of the “split” buttons at the first line and got this window:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2024-06-24 09-37-53

But now:
What do these words mean? - I found the tooltip - but what does it mean? - When I type fancy numbers, nothing happens.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Wolf

Wizard is quite easy but you should be careful to choose the right quantity otherwise it will create a lot of moves:

Let’s take an example:

You have 100 units.

If you have to split in 2 parts with 80 units and 20 units, always input the higher quantity in “Quantity field”. So, you input 80 and then you’ll have 2 lines : 1 line of 80 units and other one with 20 units

If you want to split in multiple quantity: (for instance 5 lines of 20), you first set the quantity: 20 and then the count will be 5 (but is not mandatory, because tryton will create automatically lines of 20 unit)

If you want to split in 2 lines of 20 and the remaining is 60, you have to set quantity to 20 and count to 2.
Best is to try on demo version :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your support. In principle, I understood how to split one move line to several boxes. But

• it seems that I can only split to equal box sizes. True?
  • and I cannot find several boxes on my customer’s invoice, not even one single. How would I achieve billing of shipment costs?

Furthermore, my case is different (and maybe occurring more frequent):
I have a number of move lines (2-15), which need to be split to several boxes (mostly 2-3), actually we do not really care which items are in which box. And I need to invoice those 2-3 shipment items.

How can I handle this?

You split to any quantity you want. Then you assign a package to each move. (stock_package module) or multiple moves to a package.

Packages used with stock_package module are not invoiced. Probably, you should add service costs on your sale to invoice your packages.

Ah, that’s a pity.

At present I’m manually adding shipment costs to customer’s invoice, as mentioned above. Intention of this thread was to get rid of this uneven workflow, but it looks as if I couldn’t.

Well, I can live with the status quo.

Thanks for all your thought, contributions and patience,
Wolf

The shipment cost is per shipment (as the name implies).
When shipping a shipment in multiple package, it is still a single shipment (this is how carriers like UPS are managing it) so there is only one cost (even if ship a shipment with multiple packages is often much more expensive than having multiple shipments).
So the proper way is to split the shipment (and have the shipment cost set per shipment on the sale) and eventually split some the outgoing moves before if the same product will be in different shipments.

Well, I never ever found this here. Maybe it can be achieved for large-scale business contracts with carriers, but e.g. for DHL you can only get such with more than 250 shipments per month, and we are still far away from this. I have to stick with the reality of “one package = one billing position” for the next time.

Agreed that this is the proper way “according to the rules”. But the pragmatic approach very common in my surroundings is that the warehouse will try to find out how to do packaging best and the result is billed to the customer.

This can nicely be done with selecting the shipment product at “customer shipments”. But that only works for one package; I’d appreciate a way to select multiple packages here. (Or another way to achieve this result)

NB: I still think, labelling is wrong here. I’m selecting a “shipment product”, and not a “carrier”.

Yours sincerely,
Wolf