Shipment basics - request for input to "The book"

Sorry to be a little picky, but let’s first check wording:

I regard

• carrier as the company which moves parcels and packages
  • carrier service as physical moving of packages
  • carrier product as the virtual “product” which is used in Tryton to bill the carrier service.

Can we agree on these?

Then, to say it more precisely than above: In
menu > Carrier > Configuration > Selection,
I can set up “From country”, “to country” and “carrier”. But in carrier, I can only choose carrier products. That does not make sense to me. Such, my idea of a inappropriate labelling came into existence.

Maybe a simple concrete example would be useful (to disagree over, and to correct where I am wrong :wink:)?

Parties > Parties:

• Name: Deutsche Post
  • Name: UPS

Products > Products:

• Name: Standard | Type: Service | Cost Price: 3.99 | List Price: 3.99
  • Name: 2 kg Paket | Type: Service | Cost Price: 5.49 | List Price: 5.49
  • Name: 5 kg Paket International | Type: Service | Cost Price: 26.99 | List Price: 26.99

Carrier > Carriers:

• Party: UPS | Carrier Product: Standard
  • Party: Deutsche Post | Carrier Product: 2 kg Paket
  • Party: Deutsche Post | Carrier Product: 5 kg Paket International

Then in the Inventory & Stock > Shipments > Customer Shipments you might want to set (for example):

• Carrier: Deutsche Post - 2kg Paket

So, if the above is a valid current setup and, if I was being pedantic, and we were forgetting what things are called at the moment, then I would use definitions of:

• carrier the company that moves the parcel and packages (e.g. Deutsche Post)
  • service a specific service (offered by a carrier) to move parcels and packages at an agreed price (e.g. 2 kg Paket with delivery cost 5.49)
  • carrier service a combination of one service offered by one carrier to move parcels and packages at an agreed price (e.g. Deutsche Post - 5kg Paket).

Following on from that, then the following changes would make sense:

• Carrier > Carrier should be Carrier > Carrier Services

• The Party field would be Carrier (e.g. Deutsche Post)
    • The Carrier Product field would be Service (e.g. 2 kg Paket)
  • In Inventory & Stock > Shipments > Customer Shipments the Carrier field would be Carrier Service (e.g. Deutsche Post - 2kg Paket)

So in the Carrier > Configuration > Selection:

• The Carrier field would then be called Carrier Service.
    And, in here you might then have lots of records, including:
    • From Country: Germany,
    • To Country: Great Britain, and
    • Carrier Service: Deutsche Post - 5kg Paket International.

Not sure if that is helpful, (correct?), or not! :thinking:

Makes sense for me.

I never considered the possibility to create two carrier records for two different package weights because we have stock_shipment_cost_weight. The carrier service naming would make it more intuitive.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking care. You know, I see my role as the advocate of beginners. For those (I include myself), this things really do matter, and it’s important to be as clear as possible.
So - do you agree that I should file an issue on this?

One more question:
As mentioned above, I found this mistake as well at

• sales and
  • menu > inventory&stocks > shipments > customers shipments

I do not find it at supplier and internal shipments, but maybe because I did not install the modules necessary for handling incoming or internal shipments.

So where else should we search for this mistake?

Cheers,
Wolf

2 Likes

Thank you to everybody who contributed.
To sum up the very basic scenario, as far as I understood:

• install trytond-sale-shipment-cost and trytond-stock-shipment-cost
  • create parties of your carriers
  • make sure that in you own company, your warehouse (?) and the customers in question, the “country” field is set
  • in menu > products, create shipment products, type “service” and “salable”
  • set up menu > carrier > carrier, to turn those “shipment products” created above into shipment services by attributing “shipment products” to carriers
  • in menu > carrier > configuration > selection, you can limit the selection you get in sale. So it does not matter if you do not fill the “from country” and “to country” fields - you just get a very long list in sales.
  • in menu > sales > configuration > configuration, you can select your default sale shipment method and sale shipment cost method; those can later on be changed in sale and customer shipment.
  • When now creating a sale, you find the field “carrier” (which IMHO should be “shipment service”.). Here you can preselect a shipment service.
  • In menu > inventory&stock > Shipments > Customer Shipments, you can change the shipment service before finishing the shipment. This choice will then be billed on your customer’s invoice.

Let me know if I got something wrong or I’m missing essentials.

Some of you may regard this kind of HOWTO as childish or petty. But please accept that simple-minded people as I am do need this kind of instruction. And I’m absolutely convinced that Tryton would be a much bigger thing if we had this kind of instruction for the main processes.

Well. We now have some in German. (:

Cheers,
Wolf

This is where you set the default shipment cost method for new sales. You can change the shipment cost method on each sale manually from the Other Info tab.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: The value “order” for field “Shipment Cost Method” is not valid

A post was split to a new topic: TypeError: can only concatenate list (not “tuple”) to list

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.