Replace mailing list by discuss

I like the general idea replacing groups with discuss, too.

About quoting I find E-Mail is much easier to use.
Especially quoting nested discussions with some participants is tedious for me.
But maybe I’m using it the wrong way?

Is it possible to use discuss with email for accessibility?

Discourse enforces to quote only a person at a time because you can click on the quote to get more context.
This is really the improvements on email quoting no repeat and reader choose the amount showed for the quote.

You can read from email if you activate it on your preferences.
Otherwise the accessibility has been taken in consideration by Discourse developers Accessibility audit and shepherd for making improvements - feature - Discourse Meta

Finally, I find that most of the critics say that Discourse requires a little bit more work to post a message. I think it is true, Discourse force you in the right way but it is for the benefit of the readers.

Hi everybody,

I believe that replacing mailing list by discuss would be an improvement on our discussions.
The only thing that disturb me a little bit, is the subject of the email that come from discourse. Could we replace “[Tryton discussion][tag] subject”, just to be [tryton][tag] subject"?

It is the name of the website, I think it will not be good to name it just “tryton”.

Hi, what I do not like is that the subject of the emails are too long, that’s why I propose to change it.

If you are still looking for arguments - or just want to read what others think - the same discussion was just started here:
https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2018-07/msg00205.html

I checked the first fifty replies in the discussion, the only new topic for me
was about the offline capabilities of E-Mail:

• Advanced searching local archive
  • Writing messages

Offline capabilities are needed, when the internet connection is not stable.

I found and changed the configuration to set just [Tryton][tag] subject in the email header.

2 Likes

The only thing I’m missing for now is the ability to make some internal announce like maintenance shutdown, server issues etc. So I propose that the announce ML will be open to a selected user sets that have such needs.

The mailing lists have been created: Tryton - Forum
And google groups have been set as read only (no body can post normally).

1 Like