Production planning

We have a costumer which produces unique costumer parts (like 3D, each customer sends them a unique drawing), so they use Tryton for creating a product with a bom inputs of their materials, and also the works to do in each work center (machines).
The problem they are facing is that they don’t want to produce JIT as Tryton proposes, they want to plan the production works based on the company availability of work centers. Also in order to get the max production output for each machine they need a production planning schedule to move works between machines.

Some needs we see are:

• Allow to define a start_planned_time and estimated_time for work.
  • Plan de production depending on work duration, something like:
    production.planned_start_date = min(w.start_planned_time for w in ws)
    production.planned_date = max(w.start_planned_time + w.estimated_time for w in ws)
  • The works can sometimes take more or less than estimated_time.
  • Works of a production needs to allow planning in parallel (as some process can start at the same time of the another) or selecting a parent work (because they can not be produced until a job is finished).
  • Also the start_planned_time must take care of the availability of each machine. So if the printers have pending previous jobs from other productions until tomorrow 10:00, the new work must be planned at 10:01am.
  • Calendar view to allow to see all the planned jobs where we can filter by work_center to see all the jobs of the machine.

I think there are a lot of this features not specific of our costumer but related to the use case of production work planning which Tryton may benefit of.

1 Like

For me Tryton code will never do planning. This must be delegated to specialized tools like https://frepple.org/.

But we can have similar modules like stock_quantity_issue and stock_quantity_early_planning based on the work center capacities.

I’m not sure the planning should be stored with time in most cases but just maybe just ordered over the day.

Calendar views are often not usable at large scale. Usually a PERT chart is better. The basis storage was implemented in project_plan but never took off.

Of course, but as employees are using Tryton to know which work they should do we should save the result of the planning into Tryton. So this means that:

• We should store for each work it’s planned start and end date.
  • Update the production start and end_date based on the work planning (so we do not need to purchase materials that can not be used for the works).

Do not follow you here. Why do you want such modules? AFAIU as the planning with external tools the should just be saved to tryton.

For me this is already stored on the production. I do not think the planning should go at this level. If you think it is needed, I think it is because production should be divided.

To fix manually the default planning.