Product sold in multiple packagings

Original discussion

Rational

We have a product supplied in certain packaging (sand bag of 25 kg). We sell this sand in bags, not in weight.
We sell this product in its original packaging and others packaging (1 kg, 10 kg).
The unit sale price for 1 kg varies in function of the packaging, for example:

• 1 kg: 6 euros,
  • 10 kg: 38 euros (3.8 euros/kg),
  • 25 kg: 50 euros (2 euros/kg).

In a Tryton sale, we need:

• to apply the price corresponding to a certain packaging;
  • indicate the quantity of the product in this certain packaging;
  • to show the packaging information in reports (sale, invoice, shipment).

Proposal

###UX
In the product form view, in general or sale tab, have a list of availables packagings; a packaging is a factor that multiplies the product’s UOM, and a price.

When we add a product in a sale, there is a field to select the packaging of the product. When we select a packaging the unit price is updated with packaging price.

In the documents (sale, invoice, shipment), we have one supplementary column indicating packaging.

1 Like

The nantic guys have developed some modules that implement this kind of features. You can find them in their bitbucket account:

https://bitbucket.org/nantic/profile/repositories?search=package

Is it not better to implement a “second sale UOM” which is from a different UOM category than the default UOM. Instead of introducing a new object “packaging” which will be confusing with the existing one from stock_package.
As this will result in the creation of many new UOM category, we should maybe also allow to constraint a category to a set of product because sand “bag of 25 kg” is not the same as a cement “bag of 25 kg”.

The “second_uom” modules are not to manage packagings.
The modules that implement this blueprint are priduct_package, sale_product_package

Why not?
For what I see from the *package modules, package is no more than a second unit of measure. And by naming it like that, it allows to have a more generic usage.
Also the name package is already used by stock_package module for a very different meaning.

We often see that the unit price is different by packaging but not linked to the factor/rate between secondary unit.
Sample : Product is stored in KG but sell in bag 10KG for 10€ and bag 20kg for 15€.
Or do you think the secondary unit could be used in list price ?

Following the discuss : https://discuss.tryton.org/t/uom-conversion-inter-category-on-product/1219
We have only one secondary sale unit, how to sell in multiple packaging (bag of 10KG and bag of 20KG) ?

I doubt that the price change by packaging. Indeed it is often just a price decreasing by quantity.

Or it is two different products because you can not switch one for the the other.

@ pokoli, i found a repostories name " trytond-product_package". Showing an error AssertionError. Would you like to help me how to resolve that error?

We also have this scenario. We have the same product sold in different ‘containers’ and their prices change, but the change in price is not a function of the quantity. The change in price is a function of the cost of the container.

For me when the price is not in relation with the quantity than it is no more one product but two different products because they are not more interchangeable (which conflict with the Tryton definition of product).

Of course you could manage both products as being produced from the same raw material.
Or if you do not want to deal with production, you can create two kit product composed from the same raw material.

We ended up going with 2 products and 3 BOM’s. 1 BOM for the ‘raw’ product and 1 BOM for each packaged product using the production_phantom_bom module