Paying invoice in foreign currency: difference of 0,01€

Hello fellow friends,

this is an interesting phenomenon we could not overcome:
I did a purchase in Chinese Yuan - let’s say 45.500 CNY. When trying to “pay” the supplier’s invoice in Tryton, although I accept the sum of 45.500 CNY, Tryton offers “partial payment”, “overpayment” and “write-off”, none of them seems to make sense to me. When I choose “write-off”, I’m offered a “write-off amount” of 0,01€. When I accept that, I get the message “payment lines amount on invoice cannot be greater than the invoice amount”.

Does this make sense to anybody? - I’m only dealing with 100s of CNY, how does this single Euro cent come into the game?

Even more interesting:
When I “pay” 44.499,99 CNY, Tryton calculates a write off amount of 139,99€.

Cheers,
Wolf

I suspect that your company currency is euro (so taxes are in euro), so this is (profit or loss) from exchange rate difference between posting and paying.
I solved the problem by defining a write-off method, and using write-off.
If you are doing your fiscal reports from tryton please do check with your accountant.
Also maybe you want to test in a different database than your production database first if the result is the expected one.

Maybe you have a crazy (wrong) exchange rate. Does currency conversion between yuan and euro result in the correct value?

1 Like

Thank you very much for your hint, which led me to the right trace:
I set up auto conversion für CHF, USD and GBP, but forgot about CNY. With this repaired, I get the real numbers and could successfully write-off the delta.

But now another question occurs about best practice of dealing with foreign currencies:

At present, exchange rates are taken from the ECB - but these never ever are exactly the same as those the bank actually applies. So, a small delta remains. Wouldn’t it be smarter to use the precise numbers, given in the bank’s statement, and type this number at the moment of the “payment” process in Tryton ? - Instead of ECB numbers? Or should I manually change the exchange rate at “currencies” at the moment of payment, and use ECB data as background info?

Greetings,
Wolf

To be clear I am not an accountant, and I have very limited accounting knowledge.
I think the confusion is regarding two distinct concepts: exchanging money at the bank from one currency to another and booking account moves: every move is in company currency, but some have a second currency (in your case CNY). Some tax authorities have rules for what exchange rates must be used.

Of course, if you are not generating tax reports from tryton then you don’t care, then you can leave the exchange rate unchanged, and you will not have any differences.

Feel free to correct me if any of the above is inaccurate.

In 6.8 the currency exchange on payment is managed automatically as long as currency exchange account and journal are configured.

Had a good talk with my friend @rmartin on this issue. He told me, that German rules say I need to post the invoice sum with ECB’s exchange rate; the real transaction rate then is brought in when I do the internal payment in Tryton in my own currency. Maybe other countries do apply the same rule? In case, it might be less misleading if Tryton would suggest payments in user’s own currency, and not in the invoice currency. These things may be very obvious for experienced accountants, but they are not for ordinary people.

Allright, looking forward to this feature. Thank you for implementing it.

Cheers,
Wolf

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.