One warehouse, several production zones

We have 2 or more production zones inside one unique warehouse. Each production zone has its own storage zone and the warehouse also has its own storage zone (lets call it the main storage zone) that, at the same time, is the provisioning location for the first ones.
Sometimes, we purchase products that are for stock and must be storage in the main storage zone, but sometimes we purchase to supply waiting productions (and I’d like to serve it directly from the stock_shipment_in).
The problem is that I don’t see how to reflect in Tryton this tree of locations.

Currently the production zone is a many2one field from locations of type warehouse. It could be a many2one from any type of locations. In productions we had not to select the warehouse but the production zone.

Probably it’s worth to create 3 warehouses:

• One for main storage
  • Two for the other production zones.

Then when creating you will be able to select for which warehouse (or production zone) you are purchasing this products.

For the production warehouses probably it makes sense to define the same incoming, storage and customer location so the goods will be moved directly to the storage location instead of storing in two steps.

One improvement will be to make the production location optional on the warehouse and add a domain to the production to allow only to select warehouses that have the production location set.

For now, we can not change the warehouse on the shipment once there are moves. I guess we will need a modify header wizard also on shipments.

Then the stock_supply_production should not create production order on those warehouse and forbid to create production order point.

I think the user that is receiving the products and creating the stock_shipment_in in Tryton shouldn’t have to choose the warehouse because for him there is only one warehouse (his own one).

I think it doesnt’ work: there is a domain to avoid to assign a location as the input_location of more than one warehouse.

I think @pokoli was talking about choosing the warehouse on the purchase. I think it is quite logical that the purchaser decide where the goods should go.

I think @pokoli want to say to use the same location inside the warehouse for storage, input and output. So you will have only one location in the warehouse.

@ced is right on both statements. That was what I thought.

Furthermore, if the stock_supply modules are used, the purchase requests will be created with different warehouse depending on where the products are needed. So the purchase warehouse will be automatically computed by the system.

The purchaser knows which is the destination of the goods but the guy receiving them doesn’t, at least at time of creating the stock_shipment_in when it is mandatory to inform the warehouse. For him there is only one warehouse.

So you mean that there is only one reception place. In this case, you should always purchase from the same main warehouse and use internal shipment to provision the other warehouses.

Or you could use a single warehouse and customize the stock_supply_production module to choose the production location other than the default one defined on the warehouse.

That’s the way we do but I wondered if there was a way to avoid the internal shipment when moves are actually direct from reception place to the production zone… Now we have a virtual location called Zona de Paso to bridge between the supply shipment and the internal shipment, but it implies an overload work for the user and a discontinuity between the reception of a good and the need (I can done the supply shipment and not the internal, staying goods in the virtual location, which is physically imposible, creating stock mistakes).

I’ll take a look. Thanks a lot!

I guess by production zone, you mean the location where you pick products for the production. It is allowed to edit the destination of the inventory moves if the new location is under the same warehouse as the shipment.

Yes, that’s what I mean.

I know it, but we are supposing that I had 3 warehouses (the main and one for each production zone).

And why I don’t use a unique warehouse? Because when I create a production in the PZ1 and I select a BoM, I need the input moves to be from location PSZ1, instead of from the Main SZ. And if I create a production in the PZ2, I need the input moves to be from PSZ2.
As I can choose the production zone in a new production, it would be wonderful that I could link each PZ to a particular SZ, and use it as the default from_location for the input moves.

Indeed, I can see a need to define per production location the storage location per warehouse. Or maybe it should be defined on the work center.

1 Like

Why not defining it on the production location?

Then will be a mather of asking which production location should be used on the production instead of asking the warehouse.

For me this is the most Simple and Powerfull solution.

Because production location is a virtual location like customer or supplier.
Otherwise we will need to put the production location under the warehouse and this will be break the stock quantity computation.

But indeed the work center is probably the best place.

I’m having similar difficulties in defining work centers for customer on-site production (work sites or chantiers).

Initially I thought this would be easy enough to create a tree parallel to default Warehouse

Chantiers (view)
 \
  <customer> (view)  -- because there may be many projects past/present/future
    \ 
     project1 (WH)
     project2 (WH)
  <customer2>(view)
    \
     projectX (WH)
     projectY (WH)

but I quickly found that WH cannot be created under a view.

What would be the right way to do this, we have purchases delivered directly to the worksite and naturally have daily internal supply to the worksite from the main warehouse locations. To be clear, all purchased products are consumed in the production to provide the construction deliverables. Also, there may be multiple locations at a large worksite.

If I follow correctly, the work center(s) would be tied to these worksite WH’s, but it seems not possible to structure the customer worksite warehouses. Is there a guideline/better way for this type of setup?

You could have only one warehouse per real place and define multiple work center tree (assembly line) with different category.
Or you remove the ‘view’.

Okay… All WH at first level. It appears as well that an in/out location (if multiple work centers), and one or more storage locations need to be defined… So we set the WH to be simply the [customer] address and a storage location structure (eg building, etc). But unfortunately the Work Center is at the WH level, so there seems no direct relation to a specific storage location yet, as you mentioned, it probably should be.

For the location in the main WH we use a location reserved for regular internal shipments to the work site.

Perhaps this warrants a different topic, but there are still some difficulties encountered.

1. With an in/out location, processing the supplier shipment doesn’t permit to select the ‘to’ storage location on the inventory move list. I finally found them on the inventory & stock->moves list and there I could select the location (although all locations were presented). Going back to the supplier shipment after a refresh, the location was indeed updated and I could click ‘done’.
    There should be someway to select some/all the moves and update the final WH location appropriately from the supplier shipment->inventory moves list… one by one when there may be dozens and dozens of articles is horribly tedious and inefficient. It would be nice to be able to set it already on the purchase order too.

2. Similarly already on the purchase form, although the warehouse is for all the products on the purchase order, selecting the project for the command is on a line by line base… similar is needed as above for selecting some/all products to affect a project for the purchase order.

Finally, I can’t seem to find a means to determine what’s on hand at any location other than by reverse processing the moves… isn’t there a current stock listing by location available?