Localization basics

Hello fellow friends,

for a customisation, we’d like to change some basic terms in the German translation of one Tryton instance - just locally, not to be included into the official translation. So e.g., “warehouse” should be “location”; “product” should change to “object”.

I opened administration > localisazion > translations, changed those words and started the “set translations” wizard, but nothing happened, not after a client restart as well.

So - how does this feature work?

As always, I do promise to include the result of this thread into Tryton community administrator documentation..

Thanks a lot in advance, Wolf

Hello herrdeh,

I always follow the Administration > Localization action flows in the order they are shown: Set Translations, Clean Translations, Synchronize Translations (and Export Translations for development).

The changes are instant, I just tested so myself in the demo page, so my suspicion is that you did not target the correct translation.

In newer versions, open the optional fields menu and enable Type and Field Name columns.
In Type you will find “where the translation is used”, whether it’s a field, it’s being used on a report or is the button text of a wizard.
In Field Name you have the origin of the source definition, you can read this by splitting the value with , where the left part is the model, and the right part is the field.

Hope this helps you

Changing translations of standard modules does not work with this method because on the next database update, the changes will be lost.
Instead you must follow Translation — Tryton server
From the UI, one way is to duplicate existing translation to create a local one but this works only because id is greater. This could be improved with Order translation such that local is used (#12964) · Issues · Tryton / Tryton · GitLab

Hi,
Maybe I am wrong, but you are using the translation feature as way to change the GUI text.
To give difference meaning within the customization to objects that behave similar.
i.e party → patience ( GNU Health)
So this is a hacky way to use this module, not something that should go to documentation, I found that need several times. Users feel more comfortable when using the system. But it is more a translate to their own dialect. Nothing that needs to be translate into several languages.

Thank you!
Ups - I never had this simple idea - that order of controls may matter. Actually, with doing so it works.

But now another question occurs:
I tried to change “product” - but that occurs 15 times in the list. How can I know which occurrence in the list belongs to which occurrence in the GUI?

Yes, that’s exactly what we’re trying to achieve.

Cheers,
Wolf