List of modules and what they do

When starting with tryton, you need to know which modules you need to activate according to your specific requirements. I could find a little description of some modules, but not a checklist, which briefly describes what every module does / for what it’s useful. Please let me know if such a checklist exists and I just could not find it.

Please dont argue module names are self-explaining. They may be to the experienced user. They are NOT AT ALL to the newbie.

Here I created a list of modules available in 5.4. I tried to create a editable table in dropbox, but failed. Could someone be so kind and provide a good solution, dropbox certainly is not the optimum?

My suggestion for columns is (comments welcome):
name | description | type of enterprise it’s typically used | frequency of occurence (*, ** or ***)

Esp contents of column 3 and 4 are debatable, but bare in mind:
This table should mainly give an orientation to the beginner, “soft facts” are very useful here.
The last column (e.g. filled with * “rarely”, ** “often” or *** “essential for nearly any enterprise”) could be an indicator whether the newbie is likely to need the module or not.

If everybody who reads this just fills a handful of modules, we’re done quite quickly.

Cheers,
Wolf
(the strange guy with the docu fetish,
who was appointed “user of last month” my the system… )
:rofl:
(guess just for the fact of annoying everyone with yelling “I don’t find it in the docs”…)

Here comes the list:

account
account_asset
account_be
account_credit_limit
account_de_skr03
account_deposit
account_dunning
account_dunning_email
account_dunning_fee
account_dunning_letter
account_es
account_eu
account_fr
account_fr_chorus
account_invoice
account_invoice_correction
account_invoice_history
account_invoice_line_standalone
account_invoice_secondary_unit
account_invoice_stock
account_payment
account_payment_clearing
account_payment_sepa
account_payment_sepa_cfonb
account_payment_stripe
account_product
account_statement
account_statement_aeb43
account_statement_coda
account_statement_ofx
account_statement_rule
account_stock_anglo_saxon
account_stock_continental
account_stock_landed_cost
account_tax_cash
account_tax_rule_country
analytic_account
analytic_invoice
analytic_purchase
analytic_sale
authentication_sms
bank
carrier
carrier_percentage
carrier_weight
commission
commission_waiting
company
company_work_time
country
currency
customs
dashboard
edocument_uncefact
edocument_unece
gis
google_maps
ldap_authentication
marketing
marketing_automation
notification_email
party
party_relationship
party_siret
product
product_attribute
product_classification
product_classification_taxonomic
product_cost_fifo
product_cost_history
product_measurements
product_price_list
product_price_list_dates
product_price_list_parent
production
production_outsourcing
production_routing
production_split
production_work
production_work_timesheet
project
project_invoice
project_plan
project_revenue
purchase
purchase_amendment
purchase_history
purchase_invoice_line_standalone
purchase_request
purchase_request_quotation
purchase_requisition
purchase_secondary_unit
purchase_shipment_cost
sale
sale_advance_payment
sale_amendment
sale_complaint
sale_credit_limit
sale_extra
sale_history
sale_invoice_grouping
sale_opportunity
sale_payment
sale_price_list
sale_product_customer
sale_promotion
sale_promotion_coupon
sale_secondary_unit
sale_shipment_cost
sale_shipment_grouping
sale_shipment_tolerance
sale_stock_quantity
sale_subscription
sale_subscription_asset
sale_supply
sale_supply_drop_shipment
stock
stock_consignment
stock_forecast
stock_inventory_location
stock_location_move
stock_location_sequence
stock_lot
stock_lot_sled
stock_lot_unit
stock_package
stock_package_shipping
stock_package_shipping_dpd
stock_package_shipping_ups
stock_product_location
stock_secondary_unit
stock_shipment_measurements
stock_split
stock_supply
stock_supply_day
stock_supply_forecast
stock_supply_production
timesheet
timesheet_cost
user_role
web_shortener
web_user

I guess you already know the official module documentation, don’t you?

Yes, I found that. My problem is that I cannot place it side-to-side near the module list, identify each module one by one and choose it or not. And the latter is what the beginner has to do.

Actually, I do not understand the order in the docs. In the web app, it’s strictly alphabetical, which I think is a good thing. In the docs, it seems to be half/half. So it’s complicated to find the explanation. A tiny bit is that the module name prefix in the app often, but not always corresponds with the headline in the docs.

Another example:
There is a module called “ir”. How should I know what it is? - It’s not listed. I have to search the docs to find that it’s the very essential basic module. Confusing…

In addition, contents are a little sparse, my “columns 3&4” are not covered at all.

AFAIK, the IR stands for Information Repository. There is also the res module which stands for Resources. Both are internal ‘modules’ of the Tryton server, shipped with it and both are always activated in a Tryton database.
Their functionality can be seen at least in the Administration-menu entry.

The “type of enterprise a module is typically used” is hard to answer in Tryton.
The modules are developed for a general purpose. They usually solve a problem in a generic way. I can not imagine one module which can be used typically in one enterprise. For me this information would be
at least misleading, but mostly wrong.

The “frequency of occurence” is hard to answer, because we as a project can’t have a clear view, where, why and how often a module is used. All distribution channels of Tryton can be used anonymous.

1 Like

It is divided in 3 parts:

• Operational
  • Referential
  • Technical

inside those sections they are ordered by alphabet.
Maybe we could put subtitles between each sections: Add subtitle for each module sections (#9295) · Issues · Tryton / Tryton · GitLab

@josesalvador
I’m well aware that “columns 3&4” are very hard to answer precisely. It’s “soft facts”, giving you an impression. If I know “used rarely” - then my really small business is not likely to need it. It’s not about numbers, just about sharing the experience “module abc” is discussed very often, “module xyz” occasionally and “module ghi” hardly ever.

Please always bare in mind:

• the beginner knows very little. Every bit of info is helpful.
  • The beginner does not setup one ERM, but quite likely has been on a journey with quite some ERMs to evaluate. Tryton may be his #12 (it’s #6 for me - count only the serious attempts). So he needs to achieve a quick overview.

@ced
Great you’re acting so quickly.
I’d highly appreciate if the list of modules in the app and the docs do correspond.

The docs come from the doc directory inside each of the standard modules, this means that they should correspond.

I can see what you are trying to do with the list of modules, but I am not sure this is the best way of looking at the problem of which modules are needed.

The reason I am saying this is because, for example, the currency module is almost certainly used by every company that uses Tryton, but practically no one will need to decide to activate it. It will get activated automatically when you activate one of the modules that depend on it. So it would be a *** in column 4, but when choosing which modules to activate, you’d just ignore it.

However, having said that here is a list of the first two lines of the docs for each optional module, which may get you closer to the list you are looking for.

account                          | The account module defines fundamentals for most of accounting needs.  
account_asset                    | The account_asset module adds the depreciation of fixed assets.  
account_be                       | The Belgian account module defines the standard chart of account.  
account_cash_rounding            | The account_cash_rounding module allows cash amounts to be rounded using the cash rounding factor of the currency. 
account_credit_limit             | The account_credit_limit module manages credit limit of parties. A "Credit Limit Amount" is added on Party. The module allows to check for a party: 
account_de_skr03                 | The German account module define the SKR03 chart of account. 
account_deposit                  | The account_deposit module adds support for deposit accounting. A deposit is an amount paid by the customer prior to the company providing it 
account_dunning                  | The account_dunning module adds dunning for receivable move lines.  
account_dunning_email            | The account_dunning_email module sends a dunning email to the party email contact after the process of dunnings for those which are at a level with *Send 
account_dunning_fee              | The account_dunning_fee module allows to generate accounting moves as fees when processing dunning which are at a level with a *Fee* defined. 
account_dunning_letter           | The account_dunning_letter module generates a dunning letter after the process of dunnings for those who are at a level with *Print on Letter* checked. 
account_es                       | The Spanish account module defines the following charts of account:  
account_eu                       | The account_eu module implements common accounting requirements in Europe. It includes: 
account_fr                       | The French account module defines the standard chart of account  
account_fr_chorus                | The account_fr_chorus module allows to send invoices through the `Chorus Pro <https://chorus-pro.gouv.fr/>`_ portal. 
account_invoice                  | The account_invoice module adds the invoice, payment term.  
account_invoice_correction       | The account invoice correction module adds a wizard on invoice which allows select lines for which the unit price must be corrected. 
account_invoice_history          | The account invoice history module activates the historization of the invoice and its related fields. 
account_invoice_line_standalone  | The account invoice line standalone module allows to create invoice line not linked to an invoice. 
account_invoice_secondary_unit   | The account invoice secondary unit module adds a secondary unit of measure on invoice line. 
account_invoice_stock            | The account invoice stock module adds link between invoice lines and stock moves. 
account_payment                  | The account_payment module allows to generate grouped payments for receivable or payable Account Move Lines. 
account_payment_clearing         | The account_payment_clearing module allows to generate account move when a payment is succeeded between the receivable/payable account to a clearing 
account_payment_sepa             | The account_payment_sepa module allows to generate SEPA files for a Payment Group. 
account_payment_sepa_cfonb       | The account_payment_sepa_cfonb module adds CFONB flavors to SEPA messages. 
account_payment_stripe           | The account_payment_stripe module allows to receive payment from `Stripe`_. It uses `Stripe.js and Stripe Elements`_ in a checkout form to handle `Setup 
account_product                  | The account product module adds accounting on product and category.  
account_statement                | The account_statement module allows to book statements. Statement can be used for bank statement, cash daybook etc. 
account_statement_aeb43          | The Account Statement AEB43 module implements the import of the `Norm 43 <https://downloads.tryton.org/standards/aeb43.pdf>`_ of the Spanish banks 
account_statement_coda           | The Account Statement Coda module implements the import of the `CODA <https://www.febelfin.be/sites/default/files/files/standard-coda-2.5-en.pdf>`_ 
account_statement_ofx            | The Account statement OFX module implement the import of the `OFX <http://www.ofx.net/downloads/OFX%202.2.pdf>`_ file as statement. 
account_statement_rule           | The account_statement_rule module allows rules to be defined to complete statement lines from imported files. 
account_stock_anglo_saxon        | The account_stock_anglo_saxon module adds anglo-saxon accounting model for stock valuation. 
account_stock_continental        | The account_stock_continental module adds continental accounting model for stock valuation. 
account_stock_landed_cost        | The account_stock_landed_cost module allows to allocate landed cost on *Supplier Shipments* after their reception. 
account_stock_landed_cost_weight | The account_stock_landed_cost_weight module adds an allocation method based on weight of each line. (The *Weight* is taken from the *Product Measurements*) 
account_tax_cash                 | The account_tax_cash module allows to make tax report on cash basis.  
account_tax_rule_country         | The account_tax_rule module extends the tax rule to add origin and destination countries and subdivisions as criteria. 
analytic_account                 | The analytic account module adds the fundamentals required to analyse accounting using multiple different axes. 
analytic_invoice                 | The analytic invoice modules allows to set analytic accounts on invoice line. 
analytic_purchase                | The analytic purchase module allows to set analytic accounts on purchase line. 
analytic_sale                    | The analytic sale module allows to set analytic accounts on sale line. 
authentication_sms               | The `SMS <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service>`_ authentication module allows to authenticate users via SMS.  There are two authentication 
bank                             | The bank module defines the concept of bank and account.  
carrier                          | The carrier module defines the concept of carrier.  
carrier_percentage               | The carrier percentage module adds a cost method based on percentage. 
carrier_weight                   | The carrier weight module adds a cost method based on weight. The price is computed by finding the line for which the weight is greater or 
commission                       | The commission module allows to manage commission for sale's agent. A commission move is created when posting the invoice, following the agent's 
commission_waiting               | The commission_waiting module allows to generate account move for each commission between the expense/revenue account to a waiting account defined on 
company                          | The company module defines the concepts of company and employee and extend the user model. 
company_work_time                | The Company Work Time module adds 4 new fields (Hours per Work Day, Hours per Work Week, Hours per Work Month, Hours per Work Year) on the 
country                          | The country module defines the concepts of country and subdivision and comes preloaded with the ISO 3166 list of countries and subdivisions 
currency                         | The currency module defines the concepts of currency and rate.  
customs                          | The customs module allows to define customs duty based on the tariff code.  
dashboard                        | The dashboard module allows user to configure his dashboard. 
edocument_uncefact               | Implement electronic document from UN/CEFACT:  
edocument_unece                  | The module adds many codes from the UNECE:  
google_maps                      | The Google Maps module add a new URL field on the party addresses. This link open the Google Maps page on the default browser 
ldap_authentication              | The LDAP authentication module allows to authenticate users via a LDAP server.  
marketing                        | The marketing module defines the fundamentals for marketing modules. 
marketing_automation             | The marketing_automation module allows marketing actions to be automated. It is based on scenarios and activities that are executed on selected records. 
notification_email               | The notification email module allows to define email templates which will be sent to a list of recipients when a trigger is fired on a record event. 
party                            | The party module defines the concepts of party, identifier, category and contact mechanism. It also comes with reports to print labels and letters and a 
party_relationship               | The party relationship module allows to define different types of relations between parties. 
party_siret                      | The party siret module adds the SIREN and SIRET on party and address. 
product                          | The Product module defines the following models: Category of Unit of Measure, Unit of Measure, Product Template, Product and Product 
product_attribute                | The Product Attribute module defines the following models: Attribute and Attribute Set. 
product_classification           | The Product Classification module defines the tools for other modules to create classifications of products. 
product_classification_taxonomic | The Product Classification Taxonomic module adds the taxonomic classification to the products. 
product_cost_fifo                | The Product Cost FIFO Module add a *FIFO* option in the Cost Method field of the product form. 
product_cost_history             | The Product Cost History Module adds a *Cost History* relate on the product form showing the cost price evolution of the product. The history is based on 
product_measurements             | The Product Measurements module adds this following measurements to Product:  
product_price_list               | The product price list module provides formula to compute prices per product or category. 
product_price_list_dates         | The product_price_list_dates module adds *Start Date* and *End Date* conditions to the *Price List Lines*. 
product_price_list_parent        | The product_price_list_parent module adds a *Parent* to the price list and the keyword `parent_unit_price` for the formula which contains the unit price 
production                       | The production module defines basics for production management: Bill of material and production order. 
production_outsourcing           | The production outsourcing module allows to outsource production order per routing. When such outsourced production is set to waiting, a purchase order is 
production_routing               | The production routing module defines the routings for production: Routing, Step and Operation. 
production_split                 | The Production Split module adds on the production a wizard that allows to split it. 
production_work                  | The production work module allows to manage work order for each production. It also adds in the production cost for the work cost. 
production_work_timesheet        | The production work timesheet module allows to enter timesheet for production works. 
project                          | The Project module provides the concepts of project and task and the basis for simple project management. 
project_invoice                  | The Project Invoice module adds invoice methods on project. The methods are: 
project_plan                     | The Project Plan module adds planning features on top of the Project module. 
project_revenue                  | The project revenue module computes revenue and cost per task and project. The revenue uses the list price of the product. If the product's unit of 
purchase                         | The purchase module defines the Purchase model.  
purchase_amendment               | The purchase amendment module allows you to change purchases that are being processed and keep track of the changes. 
purchase_history                 | The purchase history module activates the historization of the purchase and adds a revision counter which increases each time the purchase is reset to 
purchase_invoice_line_standalone | The purchase invoice line standalone module makes purchase to generate invoice lines instead of invoices. 
purchase_request                 | The Purchase Request module introduces the concept of Purchase Requests which are central points to collect purchase requests generated by other process from 
purchase_request_quotation       | The Purchase Request for Quotation module allows users to ask quotations from selected purchase requests to different suppliers. 
purchase_requisition             | The Purchase Requisition module allows users to create their purchase requisitions. 
purchase_secondary_unit          | The purchase secondary unit module adds a secondary unit of measure on purchase lines. 
purchase_shipment_cost           | The purchase_shipment_cost module adds shipment cost to *Supplier Shipment*.  
sale                             | The sale module defines the Sale model.  
sale_advance_payment             | The sale_advance_payment module adds support for advance payment management on the sale. 
sale_amendment                   | The sale amendment module allows you to change sales that are being processed and keep track of the changes. 
sale_complaint                   | The sale_complaint module defines Complaint model.  
sale_credit_limit                | The sale_credit_limit module adds confirmed sale but not yet invoiced to the "Credit Amount" of the Party and check the credit limit of the party when 
sale_extra                       | The sale_extra module allows to add extra line on sale based on criteria.  
sale_history                     | The sale history module activates the historization of the sale and adds a revision counter which increases each time the sale is reset to draft. 
sale_invoice_grouping            | The ``sale_invoice_grouping`` module adds an option to define how invoice lines generated from sales will be grouped. 
sale_opportunity                 | The sale_opportunity module defines the lead/opportunity model.  
sale_payment                     | The sale_payment module extends *Sale* to allow payments prior to the creation of any invoice. 
sale_price_list                  | The sale price list module adds support for price list on sale. A price list can be set per party or as default. 
sale_product_customer            | The sale_product_customer module defines customer's names and codes for products and/or variants. 
sale_promotion                   | The sale_promotion module allows to apply promotions on sale based on criteria.  
sale_promotion_coupon            | The sale_promotion_coupon module adds coupon to the promotions.  
sale_secondary_unit              | The sale secondary unit module adds a secondary unit of measure on sale lines. The secondary quantity and unit price are kept synchronized with the quantity 
sale_shipment_cost               | The sale_shipment_cost module adds shipment cost for sale.  
sale_shipment_grouping           | The ``sale_shipment_grouping`` module adds an option to define how stock moves generated from sales will be grouped. 
sale_shipment_tolerance          | The sale_shipment_tolerance modules adds under and over shipment tolerance on the sale. 
sale_stock_quantity              | The sale_stock_quantity module check the stock quantity of the products when quoting a sale. The check will warn the user if the forecast quantity at the 
sale_subscription                | The sale subscription module defines subscription, services and recurrence rule models. 
sale_subscription_asset          | The sale subscription asset module adds the notion of asset to the sale subscription module. 
sale_supply                      | The Sale Supply module adds a supply on sale option on product. If checked, it will generate a purchase request for each sale line of this 
sale_supply_drop_shipment        | The Sale Supply Drop Shipment module adds a drop shipment option on product supplier if "supply on request" is checked. When checked, the purchase request 
stock                            | The stock module defines fundamentals for all stock management situations: Locations where products are stored, moves between these 
stock_consignment                | The stock consignment modules allow to manage consignment stock from supplier or at customer warehouse. 
stock_forecast                   | The stock forecast module provide a simple way to create stock moves toward customers with a date in the future. This allow other stock 
stock_inventory_location         | The Stock Inventory Location Module add a new wizard *Create Inventories* under the *Inventories* sub-menu. 
stock_location_move              | The stock location move module allows to define some *Locations* as movable (like palette). 
stock_location_sequence          | The stock location sequence module adds ordering to location. 
stock_lot                        | The stock lot module defines lot of products.  
stock_lot_sled                   | The stock_lot_sled module adds two fields on lot of products:  
stock_lot_unit                   | The `stock_lot_unit` module allows to define a unit and quantity on stock lot.  
stock_package                    | The stock package module allows to store packaging information about customer and supplier return shipments. 
stock_package_shipping           | This module is the base module required to interact with shipping service providers. 
stock_package_shipping_dpd       | The Stock Package Shipping DPD module allows you to generate the DPD label using the DPD webservices. 
stock_package_shipping_ups       | The Stock Package Shipping UPS module allows you to generate the UPS labels per package using the UPS webservices. 
stock_product_location           | The Stock Product Location Module adds on the product form a list of preferred location by warehouse. This list is used when a supplier 
stock_secondary_unit             | The stock secondary unit module adds a secondary unit of measure on the stock move. 
stock_shipment_measurements      | The Stock Shipment Measurements module adds weight and volume on shipments and packages. 
stock_split                      | The Stock Split module adds on the stock move a wizard that allows to split them. The move is split into moves of *Quantity*. If *Counts* is set, it will be 
stock_supply                     | The Stock Supply module add automatic supply mechanisms and introduce the concepts of order point. 
stock_supply_day                 | The Stock Supply Day module adds a Week Days list on the Product Supplier form. This allow to restrict the supply week days for each 
stock_supply_forecast            | The stock supply forecast module takes forecast into account to compute purchase requests. 
stock_supply_production          | The Stock Supply Production module adds automatic supply mechanisms via production request. 
timesheet                        | The timesheet module allow to track the time spent by employees on various works. This module also comes with several reports that show 
timesheet_cost                   | The timesheet cost module adds cost price per employee. 
user_role                        | The user_role module allows to assign roles to user instead of groups. A *Role* is defined by a set of groups. When a role is added to a user, it 
web_shortener                    | The web_shortener module allows URLs to be shortened. It counts the number of times the URL is accessed and optionally triggers action. 
web_user                         | The web_user module provides facilities to manage external user accessing from the web.
4 Likes

@dave IUUC you generated this list using the module descripton from the docs folder. Am I right?

I’m wondering if it will make sense to include this information in a functional field on the modules form.

1 Like

Yes, I took the first two lines after the title from the doc/index.rst files.

Yes, as long as it isn’t going to be a problem, I think it would be quite nice to have the module description accessible from the form view for each module. Maybe we could add a notebook with the dependencies on one tab, and the contents of the index.rst file in the other?

Sounds good to me! But probably we should discuss what to include as probably it will be good to add a link to the documentation.

The doc folder is not installed by Python packages because there is no standard for it. Also I will be wrong to put it in the site-packages folder because it is not code.
This is the main reason why we removed any documentation or description from the ir.module model because we can not manage it properly. Instead we created docs.tryton.org to use as reference.

1 Like

Thanks for providing this. I’m just working on a German translation (to learn about the contents - and to be published if required) and found that the whole (uncropped) contents would be helpful.

I browsed github, found several doc/index.rst files, but non containing the whole bit.

There is a doc/index.rst file in each module. If you have mercurial installed, then the easiest way of getting them is to use mercurial to clone the tryton-env repository, this will contain a module directory that has all the modules in it, e.g.:

hg clone https://hg.tryton.org/tryton-env
ls tryton-env/modules/*/doc/index.rst

An alternative is to pull them from readthedocs, in bash run:

for MODULE in $( curl -Ss https://downloads.tryton.org/modules.txt ); do
    curl -Ss -o "${MODULE}.rst" "https://docs.tryton.org/projects/modules-${MODULE//_/-}/en/latest/_sources/index.rst.txt"
done

Sorry, some time passed, I tried to solve other things in the meanwhile.
I had a brief look at this list and think that this is what I need.

Mystery why such a gem is hidden so very well… (-;

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.