I was searching the possibility to use serial number on products. So, it seems I found a solution from the below thread -
So, it is suggested to use lots for product serialization. But I was also thinking how to allocate serial numbers to multiple units of the same product. Let’s assume the following use case -
We are going to purchase 5 iPhones (same product.variant) from a supplier where each phone is having individual IMEI number. Therefore, we need to give each mobile a distinct serial number as we need to track each phone for warranty and after sales tracking purpose. From my understanding, I think the steps to link serial numbers to each individual phone are -
- We need to create 5 serial numbers for iPhone (product.variant)
- We create a PO with 5 units of iPhone
- We process the PO
- We need to create a supplier shipment
- We need to allocate the incoming move to the supplier shipment
- We need to link each iPhone (out of 5 quantities) to individual serial number while receiving the supplier shipment. From the incoming move of the supplier shipment we have the option to allocate a lot to a product.
Can we allocate 5 different serial numbers to these 5 iPhones within the same receive? I assume no because we can allocate only one lot for each receive of the supplier shipment.
Is there any other way to link a specific product with a serial/lot number if we are not able to link multiple units of same product to different serial numbers from a single receive?