IRC: Move for libera.chat?!

As reported by several media, there seems to be a unfriendly takeover going on the freenode network. Freenode staff resigned en masse and started an new network libera.chat, see this summary at wikipedia. Looks like quite a few major projects already moved.

I wonder whether Tryton should change to libera.chat, too. Are there any plans already?

(Even if this is not decided yet, I suggest to register the respective channels to be prepared.)

We have not decided to make the move but we already registered the respective channels on the libera.chat network so we are ready if we decide to make the move on the future.

2 Likes

Currently, the freenode irc network is moving from one irc daemon (ircd-seven) to another (InspIRCd), without being able to transfering data from services like nickserv or chanserv.

I saw the following global notice this morning:

02:20:30  freenode  -- | keitwo (~kei@freenode/staff/kei): [Global Notice 1/3] We are moving past legacy freenode to a new fork. The new freenode is launched. You will slowly be disconnected and when you reconnect, you will be on the new
                       | freenode. We patiently await to welcome you in freedom's holdout - the freenode.
02:20:41  freenode  -- | keitwo (~kei@freenode/staff/kei): [Global Notice 2/3] If you're looking to connect now, you can already /server chat.freenode.net 6697 (ssl) or 6667 (plaintext). It's a new genesis for a new era. Thank you for
                       | using freenode, and Hello World, from the future. freenode is IRC. freenode is FOSS. freenode is freedom.
02:20:47  freenode  -- | keitwo (~kei@freenode/staff/kei): [Global Notice 3/3] When you connect, register your nickname and your channel and get started. It's a new world. We're so happy to welcome you and the millions of others. We will
                       | be posting more information in the coming days on our website and twitter. Otherwise, see you on the other side!

It means that currently people on #tryton channels (on old servers) are splitted from people just connecting to #tryton (on new servers). It means also that channel registration and nick registration should be redone on the new servers.