Indexing crash on migration 6.8

Moving from 6.4 to 6.8, the update had crashed with:

68109 139803431196480 [2023-09-20 09:20:46,433] INFO trytond.modules index:create ir.translation
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/bin/trytond-admin", line 31, in <module>
    admin.run(options)
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/admin.py", line 57, in run
    pool.init(update=options.update, lang=list(lang),
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/pool.py", line 167, in init
    restart = not load_modules(
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/modules/__init__.py", line 456, in load_modules
    _load_modules(update)
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/modules/__init__.py", line 424, in _load_modules
    load_module_graph(graph, pool, update, lang)
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/modules/__init__.py", line 305, in load_module_graph
    model._update_sql_indexes()
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/model/modelsql.py", line 489, in _update_sql_indexes
    table_h.set_indexes(cls._sql_indexes)
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/backend/postgresql/table.py", line 501, in set_indexes
    cursor.execute(
  File "/home/vant/Documentos/GitLab/customer/.venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/trytond/backend/postgresql/database.py", line 68, in execute
    cursor.execute(self, sql, args)
psycopg2.errors.ProgramLimitExceeded: index row size 2976 exceeds btree version 4 maximum 2704 for index "idx_ir_translation_17959a6671e3a3c93dfdf2fc3640d645"
DETAIL:  Index row references tuple (392,11) in relation "ir_translation".
HINT:  Values larger than 1/3 of a buffer page cannot be indexed.
Consider a function index of an MD5 hash of the value, or use full text indexing.

I don’t know what caused or how it can be solved, and/or if it’s something related to some custom code.

I do not think it is really usable to have large Text field translatable.
With Support btree_gin extension (#12480) · Issues · Tryton / Tryton · GitLab GIN index could be used for such case which has no limit.

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

1. Is this only affecting my module or it’s core? Should be reported?
  2. Is there any workaround I can do to update while it’s being fixed?

It depends on the data. But it can not be fixed as it is a limitation of PostgreSQL index.

It depends on the source of the problem.
If it is a custom Text field, probably it should not be translatable.
If it is a standard Text field, user should be questioned about why they put such large amount of text in a translatable field.

I have a better understanding now, thanks.

Should we make size required on Text translatable fields to prevent this? What is the max size allowed that prevents this?

It depends on the backend and even on the version of the backend.

I think we could add a size constraint automatically on Char and Text fields that are translated if they have any size. The value could be defined as a configuration value (so system admin can modify it according to the backend configuration).