How to run a Wizard or upgrade a module?

I can see a list of wizards, but have no idea about how to execute them, or what I need to do in order to change their status from “open” to “done”. So far, there are:

• languages
  • users
  • companies
  • chart of accounts
  • modules configurations

But when I click on the thing icon to execute (this thing between the notes and the link icons), I only get an empty tab, telling me that I can now configure the newly installed modules, with no options whatsoever. I have selected the languages I want activated already, and I have also entered some data about the company. But everything says “open” in the wizards menu.

Also, in the modules section, when I select modules for upgrade and then execute, the spinner is working for a while, then nothing changes, and the module still shows “mark for upgrade”. I would expect it to show “latest” or so, if no upgrade were available. The version number also doesn’t change.

I’m now on the bullseye-6.0 release of Tryton.

This is the list of configuration wizard items. They are run when the administrator is login and set to done when the administrator has finished to run them.

Ok - but nothing ever runs, or I must have overlooked it. I am the administrator, and logged in as such. Therefore, the question is, how can I forcibly run them, or any of them, again?

Please?

The wizards would have run when you first logged in after setting up the system. Do you recall having to answer any questions when you first logged in as admin? IIRC you are at least asked for the initial user even if you don’t activate any modules, but if you did install and activate other modules there would have been more questions (e.g. company name, chart of accounts template to use). You wouldn’t see any wizards again until you install and activate a new module that uses a wizard to do initial config, or if you upgraded a module and it needed to run a wizard to config new functionality.

If you only remember being asked for an initial user name, then perhaps you haven’t activated any modules. What do you see in the list of modules? Do any show being activated?

Hi Dale,

I don’t remember having been asked anything besides the admin password. But that was during install. After that, also no modules were activated, so I went to “modules” and tried to guess what the modules do, then activate some. On activation, there was a tab with a notice that I could now go ahead and configure those modules, but that’s about it.

Now I have several modules related to ‘account’ showing as activated:

party_relationship 6.0.0 Aktiviert
product 6.0.3 Aktiviert
account_dunning 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_product 6.0.3 Aktiviert
account_dunning_letter 6.0.1 Aktiviert
account_stock_continental 6.0.3 Aktiviert
account_dunning_email 6.0.1 Aktiviert
account_invoice_line_standalone 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_dunning_fee 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_payment 6.0.3 Aktiviert
account_statement 6.0.4 Aktiviert
ir Aktiviert
res Aktiviert
sale_advance_payment 6.0.1 Aktiviert
sale_complaint 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_eu 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_invoice_history 6.0.1 Aktiviert
account_invoice_stock 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_statement_rule 6.0.1 Aktiviert
sale 6.0.5 Aktiviert
account_payment_clearing 6.0.1 Aktiviert
purchase_invoice_line_standalone 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_asset 6.0.1 Aktiviert
account_tax_rule_country 6.0.1 Aktiviert
country 6.0.2 Aktiviert
party 6.0.2 Aktiviert
currency 6.0.1 Aktiviert
bank 6.0.0 Aktiviert
company 6.0.6 Aktiviert
account 6.0.9 Aktiviert
company_work_time 6.0.0 Aktiviert
carrier 6.0.2 Aktiviert
customs 6.0.0 Aktiviert
product_attribute 6.0.0 Aktiviert
product_price_list 6.0.0 Aktiviert
stock 6.0.12 Aktiviert
account_credit_limit 6.0.0 Aktiviert
account_invoice 6.0.5 Aktiviert
purchase 6.0.6 Aktiviert
account_de_skr03 6.0.0 Aktiviert
sale_credit_limit 6.0.0 Aktiviert
sale_price_list 6.0.1 Aktiviert
sale_shipment_cost 6.0.3 Aktiviert
sale_stock_quantity 6.0.0 Aktiviert
sale_subscription 6.0.1 Aktiviert
account_payment_sepa 6.0.3 Aktiviert

Several of them also saying “mark for upgrade”, but when I do and then execute, nothing happens.

Oh, and ‘ir’ and ‘res’ don’t have a version number. That feels odd.

If you say yes to configuring the modules, then that will run the wizards that are still open.

By marking a module for upgrade, and the executing the Perform activation / upgrade, you are running the process that will upgrade the database and data for those modules. If the version of the module that is installed on your server has not changed, then you will see no changes, because no data or database changes will be required.

The ir and res modules are part of the trytond server and are always required, and always activated. I’m guessing they don’t show the version because they are not separate modules.

Hi Dave,

thanks for the explanations!

There was only ever a message that I could go ahead to configure those modules, but never any question or button to press, except for the ‘x’ to close that tab.

Hi,

That’s strange, there should be a Cancel and OK button at the bottom.

This is what that screen looks like on demo6.0.tryton.org:

Ah, that makes more sense. I only ever saw that ‘(!) You will be able …’ message, which I found quite irritating. Not sure what’s going on here.

I was initially confused by not realizing activation was a two-step process. First mark a module for activation, then perform the activation (which will run module wizards if needed as the modules are activated).

I don’t understand upgrading though. I installed Tryton (trytond) using pip in a venv, and IIUC the process is to 1) use pip to install the upgraded version of the modules I am using into the venv, 2) use trytond-admin to add knowledge of the upgraded modules into the database, and finally in the client, 3) mark those modules which now have newer versions for upgrade, and 4) perform the upgrade. Can anyone elaborate before the next release?

As far as I understand things, your understanding is correct: Mark modules for activation or upgrade, then execute. These functions are both available under the menu item you highlighted in your screenshot. Also, my understanding is that if you go to a new “major version”, you might need to run some database upgrade scripts and a general database upgrade task before using the new version (trytond-admin -c conffile -d databasename --all).

In my case, I think I can only upgrade modules once they appear in the repo, since I installed via package management, not via pip.

Yes, you can find the scripts on the migration category

You must run either trytond-admin -d <db> --all or the UI to update the modules.

Thank you! I think I found the problem with running the wizards - in front of the keyboard.