Handling "overflowing" quantities with Order Points

(Nicolas Évrard) #1

Rational

Currently the order points are designed to handle the case when a quantity is below a defined threshold.

There are cases where a company might want to automatically generate internal shipments when a quantity in a location exceed a defined amount (eg: to move the result of the production for example).

Proposal

We propose to add target_quantity on stock.order_point. This quantity will represent the quantity that the order point should reach by moving in (or out) some products in the location.

The overflow_location field will be the stock location where the goods will be moved.

Implementation

The max_quantity field will change its semantic. A migration will be included to copy its value in target_quantity.

Only target_quantity will be required, max_quantity (resp. min_quantity) will be required only if min_quantity (resp. max_quantity) is NULL thanks to a states.

A domain between the different quantities will replace the SQL constraint we use actually to check if max_quantity >= min_quantity.

Contrary to the provisioning case, the overflow case does not come with an implicit minimal quantity. Thus there is no need for a default overflowing location on stock.location.

https://bugs.tryton.org/issue6279

(Cédric Krier) #2

I do not think such constraint is needed. For me, there is only min_quantity <= target_quantity <= max_quantity (if they are defined).

I think it should be allowed to define a default overflow location on a location.This will create an implicit maximal quantity of 0 for this location.

(Nicolas Évrard) #3

What’s the point of having an order point if it does nothing?

Indeed, it could be useful.

(Cédric Krier) #4

Allow custom module to do something else with it.
Less constraint is more.

(Cédric Krier) #5