Adding bitcoin support

Hi,
I am fairly knew to tryton, so forgive me if I am beeing naive here. Congratulations to your work and thank you for this great FOSS software. I think businesses should own the software that runs it and the data that fuels it. And this is why I think bitcoin and tryton would be a good match. Both are free and open source and together would allow to build, manage, and run a business without any third party between business and client.

Do you know BTCPayServer? It is an free open source payment provider for BTC. I have been using it for some time and I am absolutely a fan. Using the BTCPay API I imagine bitcoin could be implemented in tryton the same way as a bank account.

What do you think about this idea? Have you discussed a bitcoin integration before? (I couldn’t find anything in the forum or by googling)

Regards, nemo

I found that the Bitcoin donations on tryton.org don’t work. There’s a message on the BitPay checkout page “The merchant is currently not able to accept this payment. Please contact the merchant to resolve this issue.” I also found that the minimum to donate is 0.01 BTC whereas the default is 10 EUR :slight_smile:

BTCPayServer would be a good open source alternative for BitPay.

Bitcoin in many countries are just considered as an other currency (in others it is considered as an asset). So for Tryton it is just a matter of created the currency and fill it with rates.
Usually you will have for each bitcoin wallet a cash account that must be kept up to date using statements.
One difficulty is probably to keep up to date with the currency rate of bitcoin because it evolves a lot but it should be doable thanks to Automatically update currency rates (#8804) · Issues · Tryton / Tryton · GitLab.
Another point when you have cash account in a different currency, it is that you must periodically evaluate against the new currency rate and register gain or loose. This will also require a new development to automate the operation.

For the connection with BTCPayServer, it should be seen like the support of other payment platform like Stripe or Braintree. So it will require to implement an extension of the payment module to manage the API of this server.

It seems we have loose the validation from Bitpay. We are looking to be validated back again.

The Foundation does not want to store bitcoin because it can not pay the server bills.

1 Like

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

Another point when you have cash account in a different currency, it is that you must periodically evaluate against the new currency rate and register gain or loose. This will also require a new development to automate the operation.

This is soley because of taxes/regulations? If i earn btc, i have to register the gain in local currency the moment i earn it. When i later spend btc i would have to register additional (capital) gain or loss depending on how the exchange rate evovled (FIFO).But this should be true for any currency other then the local currency, i wonder how other tryton user do it?

Yes the re-evaluation of cash account in different currency than the company is a general need.
For now there is no automatic wizard to do it, so uses have to register gain/lost manually. Usually you just need to do it before closing the fiscal year.

1 Like

Ok, i see.
It’s beyond my capabilities to develop this nor to pay for developement, but I see great potential in automation. Because, if you operate in a foreign currency, say you also pay your supliers with that currency, this might trigger a lot of taxable gain/loss events. There are (many) service providers that offer proprietary software, mostly in the cloud, to perform those profit/loss calculations of currency transactions/rates based on various methods like FIFO etc.
I will probably use one of these providers, as I have also done in the past. I have not found an open source solution.

The Foundation has been reactivated on Bitpay.

1 Like