Tryton's 2020 Google Season of Docs

This post aims to be the main page for writers that want to apply for the Google Season of Docs 2020 program.

General guidelines

1. We use restructured text and Sphinx for writing documentation
  2. Our documentation is always included on our source code repositories, so we expect you to be familiar with our development process.
  3. We do code review and we also do it for documentation. So we expect you to upload a proposal of your documentation and our mentors will review your patches and suggest improvements.

Mentors

For the 2020 season of docs we have the following mentors:

• Sergi Almacellas Abellana from Spain (@pokoli on this forum).
  • Korbinian Preisler from Germany (@timitos on this forum).

Feel free to send a DM to both of us to ask anything that may not be clear. We will try to answer as soon as possible but as we are both based in Europe and we are both humans. So do not expect us to answer while we are sleeping :wink:

Ideas to work on

1. Introduction to end user documentation

We agreed that the documentation needs a rewrite on it’s structure. As an ERP and a development framework we have three different audiences:

• End users
  • System Administrators
  • Developers

We need to have a main page where we explain to the different users how they can find the resources they are interested in. This includes organizing some parts of our documentation and providing links to each relevant section.

2. End user documentation for basic modules

After some discussions we agreed on how we want to structure our documentation for end users.. Work has started to document some basic modules but we need more doing to have a proper documentation for common modules.

If you pick this task you will be responsible for documenting how an end user can use our modules to manage accounting, sales, purchases, production and other functionality provided by our system.

3. Adding tool-tips on the application

Our application has the ability to show tool-tips to the users that explain the usage of an specific field. We’ve started documenting some modules but we did not succeed in complete them.

If you pick this task you will be responsible for adding tool-tips for modules that are missing them.

4. Docker deployment tutorial

There are a lot of options to deploy Tryton (using distribution packages, using docker images, from sources, from pypi, etc). This means that normally everyone has their own way of deploying it.
We would like to have a part of our documentation that explains how to deploy Tryton for production.

There is a video of deploying tryton with docker, but we are missing it as part of our documentation. If you pick this idea, we will expect that you create this documentation.

5. Developer Tutorial

There is a work in progress developer tutorial but it’s work was abandoned and we would like to rescue it, update it and include it as part of our documentation.

There are also some third party tutorials that cover more topics. It would be great to also merge resources from these tutorials to have a single and official developer tutorial.

1 Like

Hello I am Dhiraj Sharma, currently in final year of my undergraduation in Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics & Telecommunication.
I have been contributing to opensource since last 2 years and was selected as a Student Developer in Summer of Code in Space program organised by the European Space Agency I was among 17 selected developers where I worked on “docker containers for esajpip server”. I had also used docker containers and sphinx documentation to write the technical aspects of the project.

I am Core Developer in coala where I used python programming for linting tools, used antlr and worked on lexer, parser combination for python-based libraries. Moreover, I reviewed more than 25+ PRs.
I was appointed as Google Code In 2018 mentor in this organisation.

I am also the part of the Public Lab organisation’s mentor and review team where worked on frontend and backend.
Here I was appointed as Google Summer of Code 2019 mentor.

I have done internships in Wipro on Machine Learning test Automation using NLP, Bharat Electronics Limited in JDBC, SQL injection.

You can check my portfolio here at https://dhiraj240.github.io/

In GSOD i will be interested in " 4. Docker deployment tutorial"
May I know further process to contribute and pointers about how to get selected?

Hi Dihraj, welcome to our community.

Our idea is to have a technical guide to deploy tryton using docker (and probably docker compose) for production. This means writing all the required steps but also including best practices for server administration, like backups for example. Our software is quite flexible, so we may have diferent setups depeing on the needs, ones simpler than others. It is expected that you have some knowledge of docker and web server administration to complete this tasks.

This documentation should be included on the docs directory of trytond (our server). You should read the how to develop section to learn how to contribute on our project.

Hi, I am Ume Abraham Kalu from Nigeria. I am the GDG Bonny Island lead organizer. I came across your organization as one of the selected in the Google Season of Docs.

I am interested in "1. Introduction to end-user documentation"

I would like to know more information on how to proceed.

Hi Abraham, Welcome to our community.

We have three diferent audiencies for the project (users, system administrators and developers), so we need to redirect each on to the right place. Currently our documentation first page does not guide our users to each section. We need to fix this. Note that this task requires a deep understanding of which functionality is for each type of users in order to be able to clearly explain which part of the documentation is relevant for each other.

This documentation should be included on the readthedocs repository. This repository is used to include the documentation of all our other repositories, currently only includes links to other sub modules of our project. You should write a starting page explaning the diferent audencies where they can find it’s relevant documentation. You should read the how to develop section to learn how to contribute on our project.

Thank you for the response sir.
I have relevant experience as I mentioned above and will start on with some contributions.
But may I know where is the issues tab I use github.

Here you can find out the issues site and here the code review one.

As @pokoli note you the how to develop web page has the information.

Hope it helps you.

1 Like

Okay thanks a lot sir.
I’ll begin working on it right away.

More so, I equally have another idea in making most tutorials/docs interactive. For example, using https://katacoda.com/embed this will make the users or devs to practice on an embed terminal for understanding purpose before implementing in their real applications.** This might be a bit tricky but surely can be achieved.

I think this will be out of the topic of the “Introduction to end-user documentation” but may be something to consider for the “Developer tutorial”. Altought for the current state of the docs probably there are some more things that need to be improved first.

Okay noted. I will stick to the “Introduction to end-user documentation” topic.
Thanks a lot.

Hey :slight_smile:
My name is Manthan Admane, and I am senior year Computer Engineering undergrad at Maharashtra Institute of Technology, Pune.

I have been an contributing open source projects since last 3 years and have have the experience of the workflow needed for collaborative contributions. I am an active contributor to the Arduino community with around 10 commits and 2 PRs merged recently.

I have personal interest in technical writing and have been honing my skills as a technical writer since last 1 year. I actively write and blog and am the co-founder of CBAT (Connecting Business and Technology) a personal venture on which I am working on.

This brings me to my choice of project-
" 2. End user documentation for basic modules"

I would like to work on this project because I personally know the importance of documentation required for an end-user to exploit the efficiencies and powers at least for basic modules. I am personally very much interested and driven by the this project and look forward to explore Trython as whole, communicate and be a part of the community and contribute towards the above mentioned project.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi! My name’s Edidiong Etuk and I’m super excited to contribute to Tryton during this GSoD period. I’m very interested in the deploying Tryton with docker project. I have cloned the repository to my local machine and also began watching the YouTube video explaining how to do the deployment. I must add this needs a bit of rework as it is cd tryton-env and not cd trytond. I will try and make a PR to change that

If I face any difficulty, I will drop a message. Good luck to every other participant and happy open sourcing!!

Hi Manthan, Welcome to our community!

This project is quite callenging as you will have to learn how Tryton works and write down the steps so other can follow your steps. We have a very responsive community on this forum and normally user doubts are resolved here. We expect that you search on this forum (and create topics for unaswered questions) to learn how Tryton works and then document it for end users.

We also want to change how our module documentation is structured, so please please have a look at our discusion to decide the docs structure and also some examples of what should be done:

Please also have at the following links to know hot to contribute to our project:

Hi Edidiong, welcome aboard!

I’ve seen you created an issue and you to fix it! This is the way to go. Keep on it!

2 Likes

as you will have to learn how Tryton works

I understand this completely and in fact this my pivoting point to work and take up on this project, since I am personally attracted to Tryton from a users perspective primarily.

We expect that you search on this forum

I will start exploring and scrutinizing from a fresh-pair of eyes and make sure I am writing down which I feel are important and necessary so that others can follow too, which can then be discussed and added to project deliverable’s.

We also want to change how our module documentation is structured

I’ll look into the discussion to decide docs structure and get hands on with the issue links provided by you.

Please I need help on how I can clone the documentation. I have finished setting up Sphinx on my system.

The example, given on How to Develop page is trying to clone every single thing in the app development, that I’m unable to figure out the documentation directory.

How can I find it or is there a different process?

That sounds like a good motivation for starting working on the end user documentation.

I will recomend to try our demo or install a test environtment.

Having a test environment is fundamental to know how everything works and document it!

The documentation first page is under the readthedocs repository

But it is a little bit tricky to build the full documentation as we use submodules on readthedocs to include the documentation of each tryton component. I tried without success to find a way to mimic on a local environtment the readthedocs build process. Any help on this will be much welcomed!

If you want to focus just on the landing page you should only take care of following the same link structure as is currently done. Then the readthedocs system will build correctly all the components once the work is added to the repository.

Okay, thanks a lot. I will work on it, sir.

Okay, I’ve been able to clone the redthedocs repository using:

hg clone https://hg.tryton.org/readthedocs

now I have it on my system. Time to work. Lol