Tryton's 2020 Google Season of Docs

The documentation first page is under the readthedocs repository

But it is a little bit tricky to build the full documentation as we use submodules on readthedocs to include the documentation of each tryton component. I tried without success to find a way to mimic on a local environtment the readthedocs build process. Any help on this will be much welcomed!

If you want to focus just on the landing page you should only take care of following the same link structure as is currently done. Then the readthedocs system will build correctly all the components once the work is added to the repository.

Okay, thanks a lot. I will work on it, sir.

Okay, I’ve been able to clone the redthedocs repository using:

hg clone https://hg.tryton.org/readthedocs

now I have it on my system. Time to work. Lol

Hello, greetings sir.
I just want to show a screenshot of what I’ve done on how the documentation page should look and for you to check if I really understand what the idea case is:

Yes, that the idea but also including (and probably reorganizing) the current contents.

Good morning to you sir (from my time)

I trust you’re doing great?

Here’s the documentation link: https://tryton-doc-text.readthedocs.io/en/latest/contents.html I made out from the original one.

I actually created it for verification so that I don’t mess things up while trying to push it to the main repo. I believe this will be done after a thorough check and corrections have been made.

Meanwhile, I followed the individual links on the documentation to be able to come up with the complete file pages because the clone version gave me only a few files. I now group them in directories according to their related names. Nothing much actually changed except for the front page. I’ll enhance it as we proceed. I only came up with this for you to check if I am actually getting it right.

Here’s the file structure of the documentation (how I grouped):

Hi Abraham,

That’s a good starting point but we should wait until the applicants are accepted by google to continue working on it.

Okay, thanks a lot sir. I’ll begin to prepare my proposal.

In Tryton - How to Develop shouldn’t it be cd tryton-env and then cd trytond
Also I am working on docker and watching the video.
I was curious that should I develop a standalone read the docs?
Also how about putting this project on github ?
Moreover as I first step I had assigned a issue to myself and will submit a patch.
What all I need to do to get selected?

Yes, this had been already reported on How to Develop page has a small problem (#9329) · Issues · Tryton / Tryton · GitLab

Sorry but I do not understand here. Could you please clarifyt?

We use mercurial as version control system.
But we have a mirror on github if you want to browse the code from there.

That’s the way to know the contribution process to our project! Keep on working on it.

Hi.
I am José Segarra, I am a systems engineer at University of Cuenca in Ecuador. Currently, I work in research and software development projects and I have some experience in technical writing.

Formerly, I worked as a developer for a local accounting software company focused in small and medium-sized enterprises. In addition, I have some training in the field of accounting, inventories and administration as part of the curriculum of my career. For instance, I have worked with Odoo (formerly openERP). And I am familiar with the modules, documentation and common operation of business-related software.

I want to apply to this year edition of Google Season of Docs and the Tryton project seems to be a good fit for my profile. I am interested in the idea “3. Adding tool-tips on the application”. Since I know the importance of these elements (tool-tips) for offering a quick and simple guide to users, especially for newcomers. Users usually learn a new software through experimentation, so quick access documentation such as tool-tips, detailed error messages or links to specific documentation sections are extremely useful for them.

Please, let me you are still interested in that idea for Tryton and what should I be doing next in order to get involved in the project.

Hi Jose, Welcome to our community.

That is very good news, if you already have knowledge about an ERP system it will be easier for your to document Tryton.

Yes, we are interested on this idea. You can start getting familiar with the project by reading our contribution options. Once you get used to the process then you can pick any module from the list of pending and start working on it. Last and most important, make sure to include your proposal on the GSoD website so we can review it with the other candidates :wink:

How should I make a proposal for docker deployment project?
Should I make changes to the sphinx docs locally and put the screenshots over the proposal and write down the steps for newcomers on how to do that?

The google summer of docs guide contains all the related information.

You should not make any change but explain which work do you plan to do and how this can help the project.

Okay, so in current sphinx documentation I would be creating a new section for docker deployment which will have the whole process as per the YouTube video instructions.

I thought to provide a prototype like version.

That sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

Sir, soon I will be producing multiple PRs for documentation on the opened issues and I will share my idea and draft proposal by opening up new discussion, is it fine for you?
May I know is the candidate already selected by you or you communicate it later?

We did not have received nor reviewed any proposal yet.

As explained on the seasson of docs timeline organizations will review the proposals from 9th to 31th of July.

Hey @pokoli, I have used tryton as a developer and contributed in a project that was using tryton at fulfil.io. It was a great experience and I am looking forward to contributing in documentation “5. Developer Tutorial”
I have written Python code for some specific requirements from customer like they want order id to be printed below the barcode.
From what I understand, so far the work that has been done, I have checked the link you shared.

Are you planning on updating this? : https://tryton-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/developer_guide/getting_started.html

No, the idea is not updating this documentation but adding a similar tutorial to the tryton oficial documentation. There is a work in progress in this way so we must finish it.