Production of raw parts from customer

Hi all,
we are a small manufacturing company. Besides creating complete new products we started to provide a service as an intermediate manufacturing step for one of our customers.
The process is as following:

1. The customer creates a sales order
  2. The customer ships the products to be processed to us
  3. We receive the products
  4. We process the received products
  5. We ship the processed products back to the customer
  6. We create an invoice for our service

I would like to have something like this in Tryton:

1. Create a sales order from customer
  2. Tryton creates a stock move for the delivery of products from sales order. When I create the delivery the stock move should be linked to the sales order.
  3. Tryton creates a production request which is linked to the sales order
  4. After the production is done I create an invoice from the sales order
  5. After the production is done I create a delivery back to the customer

I am unsure how to implement this workflow into Tryton.
The first thing is that I am selling a service not a product. But in order to be able to use the production module from the sales module it must be a producible product. So I created the “raw” product that I receive from the customer and the “finished” product which is produced after processing it. The finished product is the one that I sell in the sales order. From here on I am lost.
How could I (or at best Tryton) create a stock move from my customer to our warehouse which is linked to the sales order? Or is it only possible to create a stock move manually without an origin and the only link is in the production module when reserving the products?

Is there a better way to implement it? I have no problem with doing the entries for sale, stock and production manually, but I would like to have the links from sale to stock to production.

we handle this in two ways:

• Products of the service type for non-standardised products (individual orders).
    for these products we manage a customised minimal “stock process”, which more or less consists of only 3 stages.
    - Arrived
    - In process,
    - Deliverable
    (custom module)

• Goods type products for large industrial orders (series production)
    These products are completely defined in Tryton. Here we use the standard workflow of stock management, as it is important to know the exact stock of the products in the different warehouses.

1 Like

Generally, we do not use the Production Module in Tryton. There are two reasons for this: When we started, it didn’t exist yet :slight_smile: And I see the individual orders more as projects with specific requirements than as production with defined BOMs.

The process for non-standardised products:

• The customer’s requirements are defined in the sales department
  • A button at sales form informs the system the that the raw parts have been delivered.
  • A project is created and runs through the defined steps.

You should not use stock move nor product because this is not goods owned by the company.
In fact you are selling only services as far as I understand.
So I think your workflow should look to something like New invoicing method when selling both goods and services - #6 by ced

1 Like

It’s a series production for us. I was too general in my description, sorry for that.
To be more specific: we process the parts on a grinding machine as an intermediate step in the processing of the part. So we first had a development project to reach the clients requirements and to prepare for the series production. After that we created an offer with a price per part. Now the customer orders in batches of 100-500 parts and ships the raw parts to us. We process the parts on our machine with the already created program and ship them back.

The reason I would like to use stock and production is to know exactly when I received parts, how many parts I have in the warehouse after partial shipments and to track the cost of the machine.

Thats right, but they are still in our warehouse. So I would like to track them.

I saw yesterday that I can link a stock move with a sale line. So maybe this would work for me.

I will think about your proposals using timesheets/projects. It’s hard for me to grasp all the concepts of Tryton because it is so huge and I have no experience with other software of that kind. Thank you very much for your responses and the work you put in creating Tryton.

You will need something else otherwise the system will consider as your own products and so it will compute a cost and increase the stock value.

I do not think project is the right tool. Indeed you need something new that does not exist yet in Tryton.

But it would still be possible to have them in a dedicated different warehouse?

This situation is often used when a customer uses (rare) high grade materials which are expensive and comes with a certificate of the material properties. As a manufacturing company you don’t want to deal with that kind of materials and the customer has a supplier of that material already. So the customer orders the material from their supplier and let them deliver the material at your warehouse.

It’s basically the opposite of the production_outsourcing module. That module has the customer installed and you should have the opposite module which isn’t available.

I’m not to deep into this, but when you have that material in stock and it somehow disappears or your warehouse burned down, you are responsible so basically your stock value increases. The question is how it this all financially goes.

That was exactly my thought. We are basically the receiving end of the production_outsourcing module.

I am just starting with Tryton, but I saw that a stock move to a production location comes without cost. So maybe I could use this concept. I have not looked into the code yet, so I don’t know what the implications of a production warehouse are. But maybe something like a outsourced_production stock could work. I will look into it.

No this will still be owned by the company.

I do not agree. This is not because you will be responsible of the material that you own it (and that it should enter your booking).

Indeed this will generate booking of 0 for incoming. But for the production, you will still have an outgoing move with cost (except if you do not add your service but then using production would be pointless).

We have the same case for one of our customers and what we do is to purchase the goods from the customer with price 0.

The reasoning here is that we need to now:

• If the customer delivered the goods to our warehouse.
  • Once the goods are received the production work should be planned.
  • From the manufacturing users point of view, the work to be done is exactly the same as a production of the same product but when you purchase the goods.

While typing this post, I’m wondering if it won’t be better to just include the customer products on sale order with negative quantities. This way the system will generate also a customer return with the goods products. So your sale order will be:

• Quantity of final product to be shipped to the customer (positive)
  • A line with the services to be billed.
  • A negative line for each lines to be received by the customer.

But at the end you will need to also have some custom code to ensure the right services quantity is billed for the customer so probably the best is to develop a module to manage such cases.

Note that we are not using the account_stock modules on this case, but if you use them that will be an issue: