Need easy to fill short description for invoice lines

We’re experiencing maximum data entry pain with invoices where, for a simple example, there is no ‘product’ being invoiced … but simply a short description is provided.
currently, one must explicitly change to the description tab which is multi-line and is only visible by going to this tab.

It would be nice to be able to enter a short description on the main form tab and use this description in the generated move lines. The multi-line description should be used as detail only being retained in the invoice (and not in the lines).

Furthermore, this description could automatically be filled in when a product is selected as it is typically the supplier’s name for the product in a supplier invoice, for instance.
This also get over the problem as mentioned https://discuss.tryton.org/t/regression-since-openerp-tryton-doesnt-use-products-code-name-for-invoice-move-lines-in-gl/

As this is also useful for sales/purchases, it would probably be useful to indicate whether the full description should be generated in the invoice where necessary.

cheers

I posted a message that matches your request. the link: https://discuss.tryton.org/t/how-to-manage-the-name-of-generic-products/

The idea is not to add an additional field but to display the summary (first line) in the list views. This not the addition of a function field.

However, I agree with you about the problem of having the description of the invoice line in a different tab. This requires changing tabs at each encoding for a line. I will propose a modification to move the field and see the opinions of others.

I do not think it is a good idea because description is optional and for the majority of the use case (which is using defined products as best practice) it is not useful.

I do not think it is a problem for the desktop client because there is the tab navigation to quickly select a different tab.
But on the web client it is less practical. I filled nav-tabs should focus after the content (#9686) · Issues · Tryton / Tryton · GitLab

With my GTK client when I use the ALT-D shortcut “for tab description” I don’t have the focus in the encoding field. I have to do an extra TAB to get into the field or use the mouse. I can also do Alt-D times because the tab names Descpription and the Description field so I arrive in the encoding field. Can we change this behavior? this in order to improve the user experience.

No this is the standard GTK behavior.