Different purchase unit on the same product

Hi, you can look at this previous discussion.
Basically you have to create as much uoms as you need on same category and use the correct uom when purchasing

We have 4000 products purchased with multiple suppliers per product. It can be difficult to remember which unit to use for which supplier.
For me, the purchasing unit should be in the product supplier form

It is the unit what is really interesting or using a minimum/multiple quantity?

I see two possiblities:

• The supplier requires to purchase a minimun quantity (i.e 10 units) but then you can order 11.
  • The supplier requires to purchasse in bags of 10 units. So you can only order 10 or 20 or 30.

Which is your case?

@pokoli it’s the unit because the purchase price is per unit
Example
Produit A batch of 100 units price 100 € for 100 units

Well you can set unit price of 1€ and minum quantity of 100 it’s exactly the same as creating a unit of “100 units”.

But this way it does not require to create a unit of measure for each group of quantities.

Indeed unit of measure should not be used to define constraint.
In custom module we already implemented such constraint as minimal ordered quantity for sale. I think it makes sense to have such sets of module that manage minimal and rounding quantities for sale and purchase.

Where do you think the minimun quantity should be defined? On each product or on each product for the customer?

Should the quantity used to define the steps of quantity that should be ordered? Let me explain, if the user sets a rounding quantity of 10units, does this mean that it should be only possible to sale/purchase in packs of 10 units despite having the stock in individual units?

For customer I think it is in standard on the product.
Of course there may be cases where someone will want to override it per customer. But I think it will be very rare (and so not in standard).

Yes it means that the quantity allowed on order should be a multiple of this quantity but it should take care of the unit conversion.

not completely, in terms of quantity and price yes, but this does not respect the prerequisite of the supplier: order in lots of 100

Thats why we talk about minimum and rounding:

• Minimum is used to express a minimun quantity but then you can order as much as you want
  • Rounding is used to expres the lot quantity.

So If you set rounding to 100, the system will force you to order in lots of 100 units but if you set a minimun quantity the sistem will force you to order at least 100 units but allow to order 101.

Hope it clarifies it a little bit.

I understand, but it’s all in the way the supplier tells us these conditions: if he told us that it is in lots of 100, for me that means that he will not deliver individually, it implies the minimum order and packaging (in lots of 100) therefore:

• if you need 1 = order of 100
  • if you have a need for 101 = 200 must be ordered

Packaging is not unit of measure.
The packaging supports is a very complex and for another topic.

AFIAU this can be acomplished by setting a rounding of 100.

Am I right?

Yes, I meant conditioning.

If this means that the purchase order form will contain:

Product     |   qty  |  unit
------------------------------------
Product 1   |   1    |  batch of 100

So yes :slight_smile:

It depends of the definition. But if it is about something that can not be divided/unconditioned than it must be managed as a different product. If it can be divided then it is not really important. It mainly a matter of good process and organization at the warehouse to minimize the opening operations.

Or

Product qty unit
Product 1 100 unit

It is equivalent because unit is not packaging/conditioning.

It may not be able to be divided/unconditioned at the supplier, but internally yes (eg: screw packs). Isn’t it a problem to use different products when using this product in a BOM?

I do not think this is a problem.

But i’m not sure if using a production it’s the best process to divide a pack into small units.
If you want to have proper support for packaging I think the best will be creating a new topic explaining all the required features.

Sorry i made a mistake in the example, now it’s correct
For one product we have several suppliers with different purchasing units.
example
product A Supplier A batch of 100 units
Product A Supplier B batch of 500 units
Product A Supplier C Unit
How to manage this in Tryton

For me the need has not changed compared to the original topic (with the example corrected). I have a product that I use individually in my BOMs. I buy this product in packs of 100 (it’s not possible to divide them) from supplier A, in packs of 500 (it’s not possible to divide them too) from supplier B and a unit from supplier C?
I think specifying the conditioning in the product supplier form (like the secondary unit) is a practical way to do this.